Tyre Question

Includes handbrake, cylinders, shoes, discs, rims and rubber.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

WayneXG95
State: NSW

Re: Tyre Question

Post by WayneXG95 »

Now Pete. What dag would do that.... :mrgreen:
Wayne Chambers
President
FB EK Holden Car Club of N.S.W
adsman
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by adsman »

Hi All,

I have a similiar query and problem, just had my EK Ute over the pits to get licenced in WA and they have told me the tyres are to lower profile, the car is running 14 inch rims (HT i think) with 195 x 60 x 14's , what would be the correct profile to be running on 14 inch rims to keep the speedo legit cause im guessing that is the issue, not sure of diff ratios or anything, guessing its the original diff. Has brand new radials so im a bit reluctant to replace.

Cheers,
Ads
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

God he must be a fussy bastard if he is knocking you back for that, :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: .
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

I'd ask why he's knocking them back? What's he basing it on that they don't pass? Its not like they'd be fouling on the body or suspension.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
adsman

Post by adsman »

As far a s I know the knock back actually came from the Main Roads, the mechanic didnt mention it when he gave me a list of repairs, wasnt until the paper work came back from the Main Roads that the issue arrised.
Cal

Post by Cal »

I'd still ask why. Was it because the rolling diameter is different, or some other reason. I find it very odd they would knock it back for that.

Width of the tyre I can understand, but the profile being too low ? :?
adsman

Post by adsman »

Rolling diameter was the issue...might be cause he ran out of fuel on the test drive as well haha..
Cal

Post by Cal »

adsman

Post by adsman »

So apparently a vehicle should have tyres with a circumference no more than 15mm larger or 26mm smaller than designated for that model by the manufacturer.
I also found out 185/75 - 13's or 195/70 - 14's are the closest you will get to original, the later will put your speedo out about 2 mph, when you doing 55 your actually doin 53 according to the tyre/speed calculator.
Cal

Post by Cal »

I've got 185/80- 13 which are about as close as you'd get to original rolling circumference . Remember these cars had crossplys which had a massive side profile.

Geez, nearly all FB/EK's out there would fall foul of that stupid rule.

Why don't you just loan a set of correct wheels and tyres, pass rego, then put yours back on ?
adsman

Post by adsman »

Thats a WA rule, not sure for the rest of the country, we are a bit behind over here..yeah thats my next option is borrowing a set just for the inspection.