My new Fb

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

59wagon
State: WA

Re: My new Fb

Post by 59wagon »

Good to see you writing again Rosco. I guess a bit like yourself, life takes a few different turns sometimes and plans need to be prioritised. I still see her, the FB, most days and give her a wink and a rub as I walk past to grab some tools to do some non-FB work.
I’ve done some small bits and pieces but not enough to put on the forum yet - I’m currently working on the front fenders and there’ll be a fair few photos to put up when I’m done.

And NO!! I’m not pedantic with house stuff anymore - I don’t think. I get Tradies in sometimes now as I’ve done heaps of reno stuff over the years and don’t have the passion for it as much anymore.

With finding the cup washers using a magnet, I’ve tried that after dropping the obligatory bolt down there, never to be seen again, unless I rip the sills off ‘cos that’s where I think it’s gone.

Well done mate in getting Vicki onto the forum, looking forward to seeing her car and tackling all the foibles of these beasts. If she gets as much help as I have from the forum, and I’m sure she will, she’ll be right

Cheers, John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rosco
State: VIC

Post by rosco »

Thanks John,
I left my old bus totally alone up on blocks for 4 years. It was only these fires that put the fear of the big fella into me that I could lose her....
Put the wheels on and immediately got the passion back.... spent the last month now getting it back up to scratch - most of that was every day, some days from breakfast to 11 pm... it has really come up nice this time - not being able to drive it has allowed me to do more and more to a greater level...

I have bought some moving dollys and am about to fit them under all four wheels... this way, I can roll her sideways across the double garage to the open side (not blocked by caravan) and finally get out to enjoy driving again...
Fully reconditioned steering box has gone in (thanks Roger H from earlyholdenparts).. did an amazing job- has needle rollers top and bottom of the pitman shaft...

I'm hoping to get her out this week.... now sure how it's going to move on the dollys yet... I'll be as nervous as all heck when start to push.
My garage is carpeted... both the vehicles that live in there live on carpet... I tell people about this and they stop talking and stare... I get a lot of glee out of this.
Truth is, I have issues with my back and other bits.... in the cold, laying on concrete does all this no good..... started out with just a few mats then we replaced the carpet in the house... made a lovely floor for the garage...

Thanks for the kind words.. yes, Vicky will be in very good hands in here.... I'm hoping everyone will jump on board and get her through this, her first build....

Need to see some more pix of your work... you are doing amazing things..

frats,
Rosco
wikedsparkz

Post by wikedsparkz »

Slowly working this out from a small phone. As soon as I work out how to post pictures up I'll put what I am doing
So excited to be a part of this to learn everything there is about my car and keep me active and busy all day
Cheers :smile11:
wikedsparkz

Post by wikedsparkz »

Wow going through your post now as I am turning my ek to an fb now, full colour change lol
I didnt know you could spray the back indicator lenses, I was going to throw mine out, wow already learnt something me :)
rosco

Post by rosco »

doing great, Vicky - we will build you a thread of your own when you are ready.. you'll have a lot of followers.. and get stacks of advice/help...
"This" is the real FB/EK forum... I love it in here.

frats,
Rosco
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Welcome Vicky - be careful mixing crusty old FB parts with an amazing EK - they are proven to carry the rust disease. :erm:
wikedsparkz wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:08 am Wow going through your post now as I am turning my ek to an fb now, full colour change lol
I didnt know you could spray the back indicator lenses, I was going to throw mine out, wow already learnt something me :)
You will find me lost somewhere!
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

FJWALLY wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:01 pm Welcome Vicky - be careful mixing crusty old FB parts with an amazing EK - they are proven to carry the rust disease. :erm:
wikedsparkz wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:08 am Wow going through your post now as I am turning my ek to an fb now, full colour change lol
Welcome to the forum Wikedsparz , you will find a LOT of EK owners have installed FB stuff over the years to improve the look of their cars , its been happening since the EK was first released and everyone realised the FB was far better looking 8) 8) 8)
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
rosco

Post by rosco »

Don't take any notice of these two, Vicky - they are simply honing their wits on each other...
Both the FB and EK are very worthy vehicles for restoration - some would say there is more bling with the door mounted side flashes and extra trim panel on the sedan gutter of an FB.. others would say the EK's electric wipers and automatic transmission "evolved" from the FB...
These two are both very highly respected members in this forum and will help you with whatever assistance/advice you will come to need as you progress...

Thanks for the warm welcome to Vicky, fellas..... I'm pretty confident that Vicky won't engage in any "banter" in her posts.. she is mainly interested in "how to" or "where to get" info...

But, thanks for putting some "glee" into this thread...

frats,
Rosco
fb delivery
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by fb delivery »

[quote=rosco post_id=241512 time=1580202619 user_id=7]
others would say the EK's electric wipers

The last 4 FB's that i have wrecked all had factory fitted AC DELCO electric wipers
All the EK's that i have wrecked have had the Preslite ones fitted

Cheers Rob
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Interesting Rob. These FBs had captive nuts fixed to the firewall mounting like EKs?

Best thing about EK is the Hydramatic floor pan. I read somewhere that a single Hydramatic ute body was built, no vans. I like the EK special seat trim better than FB.

Pardon the hijack Bones.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
rosco

Post by rosco »

Ditto apologies for this hijack.
Hi Rob - as far as my memory serves, and as I am aware - many FB's had the conversion made to electric.
I am not aware of FB's having been produced with anything other than vaccuum wipers.... of course, if GMH were fitting these to FB's as the model came to an end... there may have been models released with them...
Mine had the original domed cover wiper motor in it.. it blew - and I was able to simply go to the wreckers and pick up a replacement... even though it is the cylinder finned type... don't know which is which by name.
In 1973 - there were still an awful lot of FB's and EK's in the wrecking yards.. parts galore!... if only we could go back, eh? Got my Warmaride heater simply by asking the bloke on the cash register how much it would cost - $15, but you have to get it out yourself... can you believe - I was in two minds at that hefty $15 price slug.. fully working, demister fans, tubing.... I took it.... worked perfectly ever since being fitted..
My father bought an FB wagon after selling the '59 220s Merc we had (loved that car).. it was costing him a fortune in parts to keep running.
I remember when he brought the Pyramid Coral/Grecian white wagon home.. our first drive was in winter... he told my mother "This heater (warmaride) costs 40 quid new".. never forgot it... I think it was that which swayed me to spend the $15 9 years later when I spotted it in a smashed up "hoon" car ... took ages to get it out without damaging it..

frats,
Rosco
59wagon

Post by 59wagon »

wikedsparkz wrote:Slowly working this out from a small phone. As soon as I work out how to post pictures up I'll put what I am doing
So excited to be a part of this to learn everything there is about my car and keep me active and busy all day
Cheers :smile11:
Hey Vicky, how you going with getting your own thread going? Do you need a hand in setting it up? You don’t need to post photos straight away, but you could just introduce yourself and the car in words and ask any questions you have, until you sort the photos out (which we can also help you with).
Cheers,
John

59wagon

Post by 59wagon »

Errol62 wrote: Pardon the hijack Bones.
No problems Champ, it’s all for a good cause. We just need to get Vicky going with her own thread when she’s ready.

Cheers,
John

rosco

Post by rosco »

Vicky is up and running in her own thread, fella's..... "Vicky's Wiked B"...

Apologies for swamping this thread..... with unrelated comments..

frats,
Rosco