Harv's (Grace's) EK ute

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harv
State: NSW

Re: Harv's (Grace's) EK ute

Post by Harv »

I guess it was only a matter of time...

Graces ute at Eastern Creek.jpg
Graces ute at Eastern Creek.jpg (84.87 KiB) Viewed 396 times

... before the ute "accidently" went out to Eastern Creek for a run down the quarter :mrgreen: Grace was observing this time, but suspect the ute may start to mysteriously disappear on Wednesday street-meet nights.

Looks like a bog stock EK ute will pull 20.8s@60mph. With factory 2453lb and 75BHP, the calculators reckon there is another second in it, though we were going gently.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
FJWALLY
State: VIC

Post by FJWALLY »

Thats gold - would love to have that option down here for a bit of a giggle.
Harv wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:16 am I guess it was only a matter of time...

Graces ute at Eastern Creek.jpg

... before the ute "accidently" went out to Eastern Creek for a run down the quarter :mrgreen: Grace was observing this time, but suspect the ute may start to mysteriously disappear on Wednesday street-meet nights.

Looks like a bog stock EK ute will pull 20.8s@60mph. With factory 2453lb and 75BHP, the calculators reckon there is another second in it, though we were going gently.

Cheers,
Harv
You will find me lost somewhere!
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Glad it’s back on the road, and track.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Good to see the front is the correct length again mate :thumbsup: naturally , FB utes are faster than that :lol:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Don’t think mine is at the moment but still some more de-coking yet

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
EK van on rotisserie
Harv

Post by Harv »

Grace took the ute for a good run up past Newcastle. All went well until the return trip, when the ute backfired and conked out. She handled the breakdown well (despite NRMA taking forever), and trouble-shot herself: had fuel, had timing gear, no spark. Ute (eventually) came home on a tilt tray.

Points had closed to seven thou, and were worn out. Rotor button had eight degrees of slop in it. New points, condenser and rotor and off it went. Thought I had broken something bad... the ute is normally Aurion-quiet, but was now sounding like a boat motor. Seems like Grace’s backfire had installed a high-flow racing muffler 🤣

9304FB89-63BE-4048-BF2D-7762CBFCA4EF.jpeg
9304FB89-63BE-4048-BF2D-7762CBFCA4EF.jpeg (363.18 KiB) Viewed 474 times

Like her father and older brother, the girl child is hard on the gear.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Must have been one hell of a bang

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

EK van on rotisserie
In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

Wow :shock: :shock:
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Would have given her a fright that fire cracker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

You SURE she wasn't doing keybangers ??? :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Now that's what I call a backfire :esurprised: :esurprised:
Neil
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
Harv

Post by Harv »

Blacky wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:56 pm You SURE she wasn't doing keybangers ??? :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin:
Ssshhhhh.... don’t tell my kids about keybangers. I have enough stuff to fix as it is :lol:

Cheers,
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

Still ironing the bugs out of the ute.

After fixing the points, Grace tootled around Sydney for a couple of months. No dramas.

The ute then did it's first big road trip, up to Port Macquarie. She got halfway between Newcastle and Port Macquarie and the ute died. No ignition. NRMA attended, and found the new Bosch rotor button had flogged out. They bodgied it up, and got her going. Made another 50km then it died again. Towed into Port Macquarie.

By some social media magic, Grace located an old Holden bloke the next day and was given two old rotor buttons. Old Holden people are great. If you're the bloke in Port Macquarie who helped her, many thanks - I owe you a beer. Replacement rotor button in, and off the ute went. Figured I had copped a crappy Bosch rotor button, as their quality control is not so great.

She then tootled around Port Macquarie for a few months, and came home for Easter. Got as far as Mount White (must have passed Greg at some stage), and the car played up again. Lots of surge, little power. Car came home on a tilt tray. At this stage I'm wondering if the ute was a wise choice... would have been easier to buy the child a tilt tray.

Car ran, but heavy surge. Felt like a fuel issue, but all good on the fuel side. Popped the dizzy cap, and sure enough the rotor is flogged out again - about 20 degrees of slop. Swore. Put the 2nd spare rotor into it, and off it went again. Has tootled around Sydney for the last week without fault.

No idea why this thing is chopping out rotor buttons on the highway, but happy to hear your views. No evidence of damage on the rotor or inside the cap other than the rotor lug flogging out. Cap is an older looking black unit. Advance plate seems free enough.

Car has to go back to Port Macquarie in the next fortnight, some I'm hesitant to just try swapping out the cap and rotor again. Planning on putting a full reco dizzy into the old girl, and have one on the way from David Andrews. Will try for some CSI on the old one.

Cheers,
Harv
62ekute
State: ACT

Post by 62ekute »

Hi Harv, keeping distributor rotors on with Loctite isn't uncommon. Patrick
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Cap Clips lost their mojo and cap vibrating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Last edited by FJWALLY on Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.