Project Modern FB

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

mrs ratbox

Post by mrs ratbox »

those shifts are good if you have the science degree to work them........pull this twist that lift this and hold yor tongue in the right place, but if you like it that's all that counts
i guess you've obviously sat in yor seats to check seating position i've found with commodore seats in FB/EK you sit up to high
oldnek
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by oldnek »

Great to see your making progress on No1 Sammy, instead of those alien cars your also tinkering with.
Its coming along quite nicely, you must be happy that your even getting a start on her.
On another note:
Should enter your dog in a poker contest, he knows how to get a good hand :lol:

Regards John
There's nothing as Sweet as a EK V8
Sammy

Post by Sammy »

yeah i agree rat, when i first got the megashifter in the torana i was not sure how to use it, i originally thought it worked like a normal shifter then dad showed me that it had the ratchet once in drive and i was sold :)

thing i like about it is it looks better than putting a commodore shifter and half the console in the car but still is relatively normal to use.

as for the seats, for one i tried to get them AS LOW AS POSSIBLE :) so i originally put them in with chocks to get them level and sit in the car and see how it was and the head clearance for me is fine ... im about 6 foot so it should cover most people, the only issue i think i might have is leg room but thats going to be the case whatever i do in a ute.

its great to be making progress finally, with the few bits and pieces i've bought i should be able to stay bussy for a while now hopefully!

i don't think Harry would be real good at poker, he doesn't sit still for long enough .... but he certainly knows how to get a good hand ;)

i reckon hes a tart too, its like he poses when the camera comes out!
Regards,

Sammy.

http://www.oldholdens.com
stinky
State: SA

Post by stinky »

The B&M shifters are the ducks guts, got a Quicksilver myself and love it, it's a shame the Yanks haven't worked out how to cast those handles for RHS drivers though :evil:
mrs ratbox

Post by mrs ratbox »

the main issue i've had with commodore seats has been basically i supose lap to steering wheel but noticed in a pic yor collum seems tilted up more which solves that
don't worry sammy i definately don't like the commodore shifts
stinky i think quicksilver is the shift i like very basic and simple to use, still has the rachet mechanism when needed
quicksilver are they the ones with the small alluminium cover ?
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

stinky wrote:The B&M shifters are the ducks guts, got a Quicksilver myself and love it, it's a shame the Yanks haven't worked out how to cast those handles for RHS drivers though :evil:
I thought they had? Maybe they only did a short run. But I seem to recall a few Mega shifters with RHD handles.... I could be wrong :?
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
Malcolm

project modern fb

Post by Malcolm »

Nice work Sammy,

I got a mega shifter in my Mustang and a Pro Rachet in the FB. And yes nothing beats them.
Malcolm W.
stinky

Post by stinky »

ratbox wrote:quicksilver are they the ones with the small alluminium cover ?
Nah, they're the new fangled modern shifters, Pro-Stick.
Quicksilvers still have the plastic base with the chrome plastic top.

The handedness of the handle bugged me so much I looked it up :roll:
http://www.rocketindustries.com.au/sear ... ord=handle
basic.green

Post by basic.green »

Hi Sammy. i was told when putting these shifters in that you should put a flat plate welded to the floor and bolt the shifter to that. they don't like a uneven surface. my to cents :)
building the dream Rick
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

basic.green wrote:Hi Sammy. i was told when putting these shifters in that you should put a flat plate welded to the floor and bolt the shifter to that. they don't like a uneven surface. my to cents :)
Makes a big difference! They shift and work much better.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
stinky

Post by stinky »

basic.green wrote:Hi Sammy. i was told when putting these shifters in that you should put a flat plate welded to the floor and bolt the shifter to that. they don't like a uneven surface. my to cents :)
Good point, they wobble around if not. I cut one side of a piece of rectangular section and welded that to the floor for mine, then bolted the shifter to that. The bonus is that it makes bolting the shifter in a one man job and you don't have to have the trans out :wink:
oldnek

Post by oldnek »

I would agree to the flat plate in the early style shifters that had pretty much a slab of angle on each side for mounting, but in the later case which Sammy's is, their a tab style, so there is some give in the tabs and for them to take up on the tunnel, will in fact increase its strenght vertically. So Mounting these would not have an effect on shifter operation or strenght. The CRS tunnel thats been fitted, should be 1.2mm steel, so the strenght there should be ample as well.
Just my 5 cents worth. :wink:

Regards John
There's nothing as Sweet as a EK V8
Sammy

Post by Sammy »

basic.green wrote:Hi Sammy. i was told when putting these shifters in that you should put a flat plate welded to the floor and bolt the shifter to that. they don't like a uneven surface. my to cents
yeah it does say that in the instructions, and as i had plenty of tunnel to box clearance i chose to just hammer the section under the shifter flat :wink:

hey Mal, i've seen a pro ratchet in a mates commodore with T700 and he has to ratchet it twice for one gear, does yours do that ? i have a pro ratchet in the gemini (powerglide) and the only gear i have to ratchet twice for is park which is fair enough cause its further apart than the other gears.
Regards,

Sammy.

http://www.oldholdens.com
NoMAD
State: WA

Post by NoMAD »

Sammy wrote:
basic.green wrote:Hi Sammy. i was told when putting these shifters in that you should put a flat plate welded to the floor and bolt the shifter to that. they don't like a uneven surface. my to cents
yeah it does say that in the instructions, and as i had plenty of tunnel to box clearance i chose to just hammer the section under the shifter flat :wink:

hey Mal, i've seen a pro ratchet in a mates commodore with T700 and he has to ratchet it twice for one gear, does yours do that ? i have a pro ratchet in the gemini (powerglide) and the only gear i have to ratchet twice for is park which is fair enough cause its further apart than the other gears.
If he doesn't Maybe thats why he doesnt have Overdrive :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers
NoAD
Malcolm

project modern fb

Post by Malcolm »

No double ratchet here, he must have something not adjusted right.

Nomad, your a funny man. :lol:

And yes, the box is still out trying to be fixed. They keep telling me it needs this and it needs that, but the only thing I think it needs is someone who know what the f#*k their doing. :evil:
Malcolm W.