Starting a reco engine

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Trev
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by Trev »

Check the fuel is making it to the carby, and your timing is rite and you have spark :idea: , Trev 8) .
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/trevwood/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No3
Ados

Post by Ados »

Thanks Trev, I will be back trying to start it up first thing in the morning. Hopefully I will have a result by the arvo....fingers crossed :oops:

She is starting to look the part, now its just a matter of getting her movin! :D

lunatic leprechaun

Post by lunatic leprechaun »

what is your colour called there ados???
jim
I'M DRAGGING OFF THE SNAILS WITH MY 138 TRAIL!!!!!!

FE-FC HOLDEN CAR CLUB MEMBER OF WA
FB MAD

Post by FB MAD »

Your engine will be tight as I said before and your starter probably old and worn a bit which won't help either.

Give your battery a good long overnight charge and see how it goes.Jumper leads can help but they have to be big amp leads to be of any assistance and they are only a back up power source to give the existing battery a help along.

You may also find that the current draw to the starter will not leave much for a spark so it may be best to run a battery for the starter alone and a separate battery for the coil so it doesn't have any voltage drop due to the power drain.

You could also run 12 volts to the coil and run the starter briefly on 24 volts if you have access to another battery.make sure they are on separate circuits though because 24 volts on a 12 volt coil won't do it any good if it doesn't stuff it completely.

The starters will run on 24 volts and it really gets them going along but they heat up quick so at 24 volts I'd be doing it only for a short period of time.

I had to get Billy Blackarrows 305 chev going on 24 volts as the starter I had was too sluggish on 12 volts alone.

Or, if it is a manual gearbox you could try tow starting it in say 2nd gear.I've tow started many cars that had new engines and wouldn't wind over quick enough on the starter.Once they run for a while they loosen up enough for the starter to start them from then on.

Some old autos can also be tow started if the pump is tailshaft driven but ( from memory ?? ) I think the Hydramatic didn't have a tailshft driven pump in the transmission.

You'll get it going eventually, its' frustrating I know when you are so close and all it needs is to turn over fast enough to start.
I can't think what to write here so this will do.
Trev

Post by Trev »

Got mine running today :D , for about 5 seconds :shock: , only on the petrol that I tipped down the carbies :roll: .
The thing I am puzzled about is the fuel pump is not sucking the petrol up :? , any tips? Trev 8) .
Ados

Post by Ados »

Thanks for your advice FB Mad. Tried hooking up the jumper leads to assist the battery, but still no joy. I had to walk away from the engine today to contain my frustration :x I will get there eventually...I think the tow start could be required. :shock:

Jim I Think the colour is REEF GREEN. Code on my ID plate reads 585-9903
lunatic leprechaun

Post by lunatic leprechaun »

looks very very 8)
jim
I'M DRAGGING OFF THE SNAILS WITH MY 138 TRAIL!!!!!!

FE-FC HOLDEN CAR CLUB MEMBER OF WA
Ados

Post by Ados »

Trev I noticed the same with my fuel pump. I'm sure some would argue its not particularly good for your health, but i removed the fuel line up at the carbi and used it like a straw to draw fuel into the fuel pump. I stopped when the bowl was full, to avoid having a drink! :shock:
Just figured this would give it a bit of a head start.
Thommo

Post by Thommo »

Trev wrote:Got mine running today :D , for about 5 seconds :shock: , only on the petrol that I tipped down the carbies :roll: .
The thing I am puzzled about is the fuel pump is not sucking the petrol up :? , any tips? Trev 8) .
Gday Trev
When I went to start mine for the first time I had the same problem.
The fuel has a long way to travel to even reach the fuel pump.
What I did was to undo the flexable hose of the delivery pipe from the tank,
then wrapped my lips around the fuel filler pipe on the rear of the car,
and blew through the fuel filler until fuel appeared there.
Then I reconnected the flexable line, and tried to start it again.

Still wouldn't start.

Blew again into the tank, and found fuel coming out through the side of the braided flexable line.

Replaced the flexable with a temporary piece of hose, and the car soon started.

Cheers
Jeff
mrs ratbox

Post by mrs ratbox »

or but may not be good for new engine, like thommo said takes a while for the fuel to get up so keep tipping fuel down carbs till it sucks up that's what i did with my not new engine on the weekend

BE CAREFULL OF BACKFIRES THROUGH THE CARBY :shock:
FB MAD

Post by FB MAD »

Thommo wrote:
Trev wrote:Got mine running today :D , for about 5 seconds :shock: , only on the petrol that I tipped down the carbies :roll: .
Gday Trev
When I went to start mine for the first time I had the same problem.
The fuel has a long way to travel to even reach the fuel pump.
What I did was to undo the flexable hose of the delivery pipe from the tank,
then wrapped my lips around the fuel filler pipe on the rear of the car,
and blew through the fuel filler until fuel appeared there.
Then I reconnected the flexable line, and tried to start it again.

Still wouldn't start.

Blew again into the tank, and found fuel coming out through the side of the braided flexable line.

Replaced the flexable with a temporary piece of hose, and the car soon started.

Cheers
Jeff
:roll: Yep, the flexible fuel line can be a culprit when it comes to non priming fuel pump and it is one of the first things I look for.If it has a hole it would rather suck air than suck fuel.

You could assist the priming of the fuel pump ( and your sensitive lips Thommo :lol: :lol: :lol: ) by wrapping cloth around the fuel tank filler neck and pressurise the tank with an air blower and compressed air.This will force fuel under compressed air pressure into the fuel pump and up to the carby/carbys.It will also find a leak in the tank line to fuel pump flexible hose if there is a hole in it.
I can't think what to write here so this will do.
Trev

Post by Trev »

Thanks for the tips, I'll give it a go tonight :D , Trev 8) .
Trev

Post by Trev »

Blowing into the fuel tank worked a treat :D
She's a methanol burning beast :lol:
mrs ratbox

Post by mrs ratbox »

8) handy having long arms and a trim stomach :shock: i have to get lisa to turn the key while i work the accelorater :oops: either that or i turn the ignition on and screwdriver on the starter :wink: :)
EKjimmy

Post by EKjimmy »

sounds awesome trev, what you got done to that motor?