Door Rubber

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

EK283
State: NSW

Re: Door Rubber

Post by EK283 »

Hi Bill,
I have just bought some 3m super weatherstrip adhesive for my 1/4 vent seal and have noticed the superglue on the door rubbers have come off in some spots. Looks like another trial and error session in front of me ! I will trial the 3m glue and give a report after next week when i get it delivered.
Greg
So many cars so little time!
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

Hey Billy, I'm about to do door/boot rubbers on my Karmann Ghia. I have spent ages getting the old contact adhesive off. The engine bay rubber is impossible to remove as its hardened (I guess) with the heat of the engine.

Bought this stuff after loads of reading as I was not happy with contact adhesive. Wanted something stronger. After some testing I do NOT recommend this!
IMG_7870.JPG
IMG_7870.JPG (177.97 KiB) Viewed 286 times
Essentially its rubberised superglue for sticking rubber to metal. I don't think there is any room for error with this stuff. You have about 5 seconds to reposition after initial contact is made. Once its stuck it stays stuck. Here's the residue left when I tested on the holden's door frame.
IMG_7871.JPG
IMG_7871.JPG (133.7 KiB) Viewed 286 times
Tried to get the residue off but it will only come off along with the paint.
So now I have done some more research and found this.
IMG_7872.JPG
IMG_7872.JPG (157.67 KiB) Viewed 286 times
Reads like its contact adhesive but black (and hopefully stronger). Going to give it a go on the weekend. Will let you know.
Scott
(Not so rusty) Ol' Rusty - FB/EK Sedan
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Bill,
I have used the Wurth glue on my ute. It is basically just contact adhesive and works well. As does and contact and I have also found it relatively easy to remove after years.

Very important to let it tack dry for at least 5 minutes prior to bringing the two surfaces together.
Cheers
Clay

FB ute driver, EK van project

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
FireKraka
State: WA

Post by FireKraka »

Hey guys that is what I used on Franks side window seals and it sticks well, it helps if you just rough up the paint a little.
IMG_0463.jpg
IMG_0463.jpg (519.21 KiB) Viewed 281 times
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
FireKraka
State: WA

Post by FireKraka »

I'm referring to the 3M product, Black Weather Strip Adhesive
Neil
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
BILLY BLACKARROW

Post by BILLY BLACKARROW »

BILLY BLACKARROW wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:54 pm I didn't use Superglue or contact I used a Locktite product but cant remember the No of hand 425 possible is superglue or contact glue what i should be using what have you used over the years
What I used was locktite 424 only one digit out :grinnn: :grinnn:
BILLY BLACKARROW
MY Father always said do the hard part first --because when you are OVER IT you only have the easy part left to do THINGS I HAVE TRIED TO LIVE BY