WA fb special

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

mph
State: WA

Re: WA fb special

Post by mph »

Driving on the way back from the east side of aus came across this pile of oldies.
Ive nver seen so many fj's in one place
FB-Special
Big block 161 :lol:
Holley sniper EFI.
Vintage air ducted heat and cool.
Ek auto column shift.
Lj diff and reverse lights.
WA FB~EK Car Club Member.
mph

Post by mph »

So today i decided to install the lj diff in the FB spesh and get the offset rears tucked in nice with out ripping off the white wall flappers when driving.
First step i did was remove the 2" lowering blocks get it back to factory level and measure the pinion angle so later on when i set up the lj diff i can set the pinion angle to suit being lowered when welding on new spring perches, hopefully that works out.
I had purchased some new perches but thought id unpick the fb ones aswell , they are only held on by 4 spot welds :shock: i guess the u bolts do most the work.
I drilled out / cut the bump stops and brake line bracket spot welds and moved them also over to the lj diff and removed the lj bump stops.
I measured up the side to side first and got that with in the mm each side and distance to the spring hangers marked them all out then worked on the pinion angle. Removed the diff and burnt all the bits onto the lj diff.
The blocks are back in it but ill be doing a spring flip when the diff back is out for powder coating.
FB-Special
Holley sniper EFI.
Ek auto column shift.
In the Shed
State: SA

Post by In the Shed »

Geez, there a few old cars there. Did you find any bits to take home? Looks they have been there a while too!

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
mph

Post by mph »

In the Shed wrote:Geez, there a few old cars there. Did you find any bits to take home? Looks they have been there a while too!

Regards
Stephen
There was plenty of bits to be had glass, chrome, steering wheels alot of it was rusty to,plenty of EH holdens to etc but i didnt end up with anything.

Im actually still after lhs back door glass runner ( bit thats siliconed to the bottom of the glass that the windowwinder wheel runs in) and drivers side fb special chrome that goes along on top of the fin and back rhs door if anyone has any.
Thanks
FB-Special
Holley sniper EFI.
Ek auto column shift.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

I will have a glass runner for you , and possibly the other bits.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
mph

Post by mph »

Blacky wrote:I will have a glass runner for you , and possibly the other bits.
That will be great Blacky thanks.
FB-Special
Holley sniper EFI.
Ek auto column shift.
mph

Post by mph »

I decided to have a go at lowering the bumpstops to keep it looking somewhat original and save cutting them down and have them splitting.
some pics are of lhs some of the rhs but you get the idea,

First things first while wheel in the end to find spot welds then drill out the spot welds that hold the cup in.
Hammer and chisel knock off the cup pops

The out with the holesaw and drop the cups in, level the cups and weld them in and also weld up the spot weld holes clean it up with the flapper disk.

A quick check on why i was sweating some much

Just to get a idea the springs are 2" lowered kingsprings with 1 and a 1/4 coils cut off.

Last edited by mph on Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
FB-Special
Holley sniper EFI.
Ek auto column shift.
mph

Post by mph »

Ps any tips in getting photobucket pics smaller
FB-Special
Holley sniper EFI.
Ek auto column shift.
mph

Post by mph »

Giving the tie rod ends some heat before they get the hammer as they are due for replacement .
i also removed the brake pedal and welded on the auto size brake pedal it worked a treat.
It looks a little more offset to the left of the leg than it actually is .
Does anyone have a pic of an original auto pedal straight on?

FB-Special
Holley sniper EFI.
Ek auto column shift.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

I have a factory auto wreck at home that you can check out mate.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Pretty sure the auto pedal is centred on the pendulum arm. The arm is same as manual. It's easy to remove manual pedal and replace with auto. Sourcing the auto pedal rubber used to be an issue but they seem to be available on eBay these days. The customisers trick was to weld on a thumping big pedal with the "DISC BRAKES" raised lettering on the middle of the rubber.
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
mph

Post by mph »

(note to self) Always ask Blacky first for ekmart parts availability :lol:

Im not sure if the ek auto pedal rubber the same as the oem EH one but the plate ive welded on says suits ek ej eh auto rubber. the rubbers are about $13 from rare spares. so hopefully it works okay.
FB-Special
Holley sniper EFI.
Ek auto column shift.
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Hi MPH your thermometer looks like mine did before the Blacky inspired aircon I have installed; before there were days when I would only last 10 to 20 minutes before I was saturated and had to get out of the workshop now I think it is cooler than the house.

Can you post a photo of the pedal as I have to go done this path also I left just a normal pedal in my FC.

Regards
Neil H
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
mph

Post by mph »

FireKraka wrote:Hi MPH your thermometer looks like mine did before the Blacky inspired aircon I have installed; before there were days when I would only last 10 to 20 minutes before I was saturated and had to get out of the workshop now I think it is cooler than the house.

Can you post a photo of the pedal as I have to go done this path also I left just a normal pedal in my FC.

Regards
Neil H

i think the pedal is more the the left than oem auto pedal but ive installed it for a test and im happy with its location.

Edit x milllion, :crazy: ive been trying to resize and save the images on photobucket they save smaller then when the hit the screen they are massive again

you dont have to cut the old pedal but i did as i wasnt sure how much over hang the rubber had and didnt want to be affected with the thickness of two pedals
FB-Special
Holley sniper EFI.
Ek auto column shift.
mph

Post by mph »

So another little mission im onto is getting some auto indication on the steering column to work.
Whats the actual proper name for the auto column indicator?
Id like to see what other guys have used for rego or is it actually needed? :?:
Did the orignal fb ek manual gear knobs come with the H pattern symbol on it or was a gear shift symbol/image not required in vehicles back then? :?:
Can you get new ek plastic indicators made even better made for a trimatic :?:

Ill post a few pics and some info which might helps others out when installing a trimatic into a fb.

I have a ek auto one but its faded and you cant see any gears etc, i bought one a while back of gumtree from a ej auto and i also have a hd auto one.
The FB EK column has a larger diameter than the ej - hr as they dont quite fit over the fb column but a mate has made a ej one stetch over his fb column then you have to re label it to suit a trimatic aswell.
The clear plastic indicator (not sure of proper name) from the HD slots into the ek frame and would work
This is the ej eh over the ek one see the size difference.

This is the ek frame with a hd plastic slotted in it , it fits quite snug but would require the bottom plastic tabs buzzed down to sit flush on the column. i think ill end up with this combo

Left to right ek ej hd
FB-Special
Holley sniper EFI.
Ek auto column shift.