It is done- ute lowering with some pics

Includes shock absorbers, springs and steering linkages.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harko
State: NOT ENTERED

Re: It is done- ute lowering with some pics

Post by Harko »

Looks grouse but Id go down in the back so its 1.5 inches higher than the front from the sill :wink:
Easily distracted angle manipulator extrordinaire.
Oldnblue

Post by Oldnblue »

Good thing about the back is everything is easily reversed if you're not happy (unlike cutting the springs). Flip a leaf as suggested, take a photo, compare with your current photos and go from there.
Personally, I'd go lower, but having said that, the rake does look cool so either way is a win.
Cheers, Scott
Laingy

Post by Laingy »

Now that looks Good,Congrats withs style 8) 8)
skin_dog

Post by skin_dog »

Thanks guys.
Just got back from a very wet drive, and i know this sounds stupid, but i swear it feels softer than before. Still goes in a straight line too!
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

Cool! Looks heaps better, now wait for it to settle as it will drop a touch more over the next month or so. Then you'll probably want to drop the back. I would :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
skin_dog

Post by skin_dog »

Had a feeling you'd say that DR :lol:
Dakam

Post by Dakam »

Looks cool. I like the stance of it now, but as DR said, let it settle a bit beforedoing anything else. If ya wanna know what it looks like a bit lower, chuck a couple of bags of cement in the back to get an idea.

Dave.
I'd rather drive something made of metal, not plastic!
mrs ratbox

Post by mrs ratbox »

NoMAD wrote:8) the best methods for cutting springs is the can method....

cut half coil... stand back have a beer and decide to cut more....

keeps going till you have achieveed the desired affect! oh and nice work it looks good!

cheers
Nathan
you'de end up drunk and f#%k the whole thing up :lol: start at 1and1/4 then work down, but 1and1/2 is usually a good spot :wink:
i'de prolly bring the back down a bit more but that could also f#%k up yor ride comfort doesn't look bad as is
skin_dog

Post by skin_dog »

I was thinking of doing that Dave, i happen to have some outside so i think i'll be doing that as soon as a finish here..
Cheers Rat, you know after looking at it a couple more times today i think i do want the back lower, but as you said i dont want to ruin the comfort of the ride and it seems to be quite nice at the moment.
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

UTEK wrote:....and it seems to be quite nice at the moment.
Obviously not low enough then :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just trim the bumpstops in the rear when you drop it more. Works a treat :wink:
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
skin_dog

Post by skin_dog »

Will do DR, cheers
artyfartymarty
State: WA

Post by artyfartymarty »

drop it in the back until it sits even or just lower than front and replace shocks with air pressure adjustable ones or add air bellows that you can pump up to adjust to how you want it to sit and ride. mine has the adjustable shocks but i leave them almost empty as it sits just like yr ute... just a little higher in the back....i will do the fippin spring thing once i get through my others items on the 'to do' list.
FB EK Club WA
Don't follow me, I'm lost too
skin_dog

Post by skin_dog »

Thanks for the tip tip marty, i was actually just outside looking at it thinking "yep, definitely has to come down", but like you said, put on the list. Right now my clutch and rear main are priority but when those are done i'll do exactly what you said. I like the sound of being able to adjust the rear, what sort of weight will those shocks hold up when pumped?
artyfartymarty
State: WA

Post by artyfartymarty »

these are similar to what i have, http://www.monroe.com.au/products/gas-riser.html
they are designed for towing and were commonly used before bellows and air bags became readily available for passanger cars
mine were installed when the FB was the equivalent of a VN commodore by todays standard :shock: :shock: :shock: so they may have changed slightly but mine still hold their pressure when required. if I pump them up to about 50PSI unloaded they lift the rear by about 2 - 2 1/2 inches, any more pressure just stiffens the ride further with only marginal lift so you can set your ute height unloaded for daily driving and then pump them up at the servo when you need to cart something (or install an air compressor) not sure what load capasity they're rated at, need to ask at the counter of your friendly suspension or parts store.

nice ute by the way. :wink: always liked the flat black look.
FB EK Club WA
Don't follow me, I'm lost too
skin_dog

Post by skin_dog »

Thanks again marty,
That sounds ideal for me and the kind of use the ute gets. I'll get over the road to Pedders and quiz them a bit this weekend.
While we're on the topic of PSI, can you buy the inside bits for tyre valves or do i need to have the whole thing replaced? When i put my flappers on i took the guts out of the valves to let the air out quicker and they havn't been the same since, keep losing pressure after a couple of weeks.