Overheating Problems

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

mrs ratbox

Overheating Problems

Post by mrs ratbox »

i'm having overheating problems, had no problems till the outside temp has gone up, have a hotty red motor with a HD/HR radiator, so today i ordered an aussie desert cooler radiator anybody got any feedback on these radiators or other solutions
oldnek
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by oldnek »

G'day Rat box.

I wouldn't spend the money on a desert cooler, over priced and over rated, Most rod runs you go to on hot days rods are overheating with desert coolers fitted. (I'm am not saying there bad, not saying there good either.) but look at cleaning your radiator and fitting a fan shroud to promote better cooling 1st if you don't have one. Check your Radiator cap for correct pressure seat, if thats all good then you can also fit a larger engine fan to your motor. Check your engine for excessive pressure build up, maybe a simple thing like a slight leak is causing your drama. Seen many a vehicle loose water and evapourating before you visually detect it.
I've had a lot more cars over heat on the dyno with out fan shrouds than with and even the use of high flow (Large CFM rated)thermofans.
Check the coolant flow through the radiator also, maybe the water pump impeller has had the stick, I'd go for a high flow thermosat as well. If then it all checks out fine well and good go for a larger radiator, contact your local radiator repair shop 1st for prices.

Regards John
fb cruzn

Post by fb cruzn »

a mate of mine has a alluminiun desert cooler in his vb comm, with 2 au falcon thermos, and its the best set up iv eva seen but $$$$ wasnt cheap. works really well. hes neva had any cooling issues since.
westy
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

I ran a desert cooler rad in my FC, hot motor big stall conv. Never had a problem, but you need to make sure you have the airflow through as much as possible of the radiator. A shroud is a definite for an engine fan. Or a thermo fan that covers as much as possible.

Norm stands behind his product so any problems are easily sorted from what I hear.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
oldnek

Post by oldnek »

G'day Devilrod.

If you go to my lastest photos you'll see the one of the engine bay, The radiator I fitted is from a HQ 350 Chev, I'm running a fan which is a stainless 7 blader flat throw type, I had her on the rollers and she dos'nt even need a fan shroud to keep cool, consant 190 to 210F under load.
All of the shelf Items and at a cost of $230 for a new radiator and Nascar fan from Australian Auto supplies Vic for $65 trade I couldn't go wrong, and it works.

John
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

Had a look John, with a little bit of cutting you can run anything. I'm running a HK with an engine fan. Nothing too flash owes me $50 and that was to have it cleaned and checked. Should be plenty for a stock 161 :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: Torana radiators are another good option.

My roadster runs a Toyota Hyster (yes a forklift :shock: ) one, but then again it is a flathead. It runs washers as restrictors instead of thermostats (something i plan on changing) and a large thermo fan.

Horses for courses. Main thing is it remains cool.
mrs ratbox

Post by mrs ratbox »

oh well i'll soon be able to tell if it helps or not, drove it yesterday outside temp was down by about 8 degrees had no probs, so it just seems it can't cope with 38-40 degree temps. i've spocken to norm before and he seems ok, at the time he could of said it was radiator related and sold one to me but he didn't, and this time when i described my situation he said it would be the radiator.i'de already done all the things john said bar a shroud (not realy any room) and a bigger fan would sap more power from my engine, so it's the radiator first then i'll try a thermo fan, but i have found them in the past not to be as good as an engine fan. devilrod i used to have an A model roadster/pickup with a 350 in it, don't know what the radiator was but it was nothing fancy on 40 degree days with a 165 degree thermostat and only a thermo fan (which hardly ever came on) it would sit on 170 in traffic or on the highway, it was on straight LPG so was cheap as shit to run and went like a skalled cat, i wish i still had it :(
mrs ratbox

Post by mrs ratbox »

had my desert cooler radiator in a couple of weeks now problem solved :D
smooth

Post by smooth »

The coming weeks will test it out! :shock:

Regards, Smooth 8)
yeprat1

Post by yeprat1 »

thats sounds good ratbox keep us updated on how she goes . have installed the 5 speed yet waiting for my mate to fit the new tunnel .have a great xmas
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

Good to hear Ratbox.
Eeek

Post by Eeek »

Get your self a radiator sock to go in top tank and see if you are collecting crap. Works wonders if there is stuff floating around.