Chev EK

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

EK283
State: NSW

Chev EK

Post by EK283 »

Hi Fellow Fans,
Some updates on the body I had dipped to remove all the paint etc.
This is an absolute method to save time. The only drawback is people dont care what you have and damage is not an issue! I have not made my mind up if it is worth chasing a refund but the goons damaged the roof with their crane and it was perfect!
Please help if you know of anybody with NOS sills as mine are had it.
This process of paint removal shows up everything!
EK-179
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by EK-179 »

Greg,
looks like they have done a very good job-if you dont mind me asking how much do they charge to do this kind of work? shame about that dent also, i would definately complain about it!. Unless ofcourse, there was bog in the roof and you didnt know? just a thought!

The body looks quite staight, goodluck with the rebuild and keep us updated!
EK283

CHEV EK

Post by EK283 »

Mr Torque FC and fellow Holden fans,
I have been hard at it for 2 ten hour days cleaning the bare metal with deoxidine. The original cost for the tanking of the body was $2000.00. I know this sound dear but I have saved at least 6 months of paint removal by hand as well as my sanity. The results are tremendous with every rust hole or damage exposed. I have built several cars in my life and Im getting to old for hard labour, I think it was totally worth while :D . Painted the first lot of 2 pack primer today so I can start repairs. Still trying to find NOS sills if anyone has any?
It is really helpful when you know somebody who has a panel shop
Regards Greg EK283
Burnsy

Post by Burnsy »

Wow, that is amazing, I have never seen the results of tanking before and it looks to be well worth it. I am not sure I could bring myself to paint it though, I would just want to leave it all bright and shiny like that and put it in my lounge room :lol:

Do you have any closeup picks of a badly rusted area so we can see how it looked straight from the tank?

Burnsy
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Hi there fellow fans!

Got my car back home and started with the boot mods. Im doing the &*#@ fuel tank thing, geeze even these tanks are getting hard to find!
Wondering where the fuel filler is going to go? Ill keep you posted.
A little grind for clearance and a bit of rust that needs attention.
The drop tank look.
Just in case anyone is wondering I have owned this car for nearly 20 years and it was not original when I got it, red motor etc. I am putting the chev in because I have a couple laying around so to speak. Nothing quite like a V8 I say!
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

The tank looks like a good option especially considering what you are putting in it. Can't wait to see more....
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
EK-179

Post by EK-179 »

Greg,
I like the neatness of that tank, will look great once its all finished!
Im not to sure on what your tastes are, but ive seen a few early holdens with the fuel filler in the boot and the rear beaver blanked off (looks good to me, but may not be your 'kinda thing'). Anyways mate keep up the great work, and post up some more pics! As im sure that this is great motivation for others! (including me... :lol: :lol: )
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

My guess is the fuel filler is going behind the taillight as per the EK coupe in the latest Street Machine mag....
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
NoMAD

Looking Good EK283

Post by NoMAD »

Looking Good Mate - should be awesome when its finished

Excactly what &*#@ Model Tank is it? (i'm told there XB's)

and what exactly do you have to do to fit one is it as simple as cutting the shape out and welding in - or are there any other "reinforcement" type work required?

Also do they require approval?

Cheers
NoMAD
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

I have got a VN Commondore tank in the wifes sedan , they are heaps easier to get hold of and have all the bits required for a fuel injection motor, the only drawback is no spare wheel well like the XB tank.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
oldgmh

Post by oldgmh »

looking great EK283 ! :D :D

someone already asked my question about the fuel tank but I still would like to know about the filler and the guage setups? :?: :?:

yeh - I find the standard tanks are too small too. 8) 8)

oldgmh :roll: :roll:
EK283

Chev EK

Post by EK283 »

Wow guys ,
Thanks for all the interest! Yes the tank is XB,XC &*#@.
I have mounted it backwards to keep the drop tank look.
The sender unit pick up is located at the rear right hand side easy to get at.I havent tried to hook it up yet and may take a while before I get to it.
I cant see that there will be any problem cause all sender units are pretty much the same. While I have been writing this I am now considering turning the tank around and grafting in a jag filler on top of the guard. Originally I was going to put the filler behind the rear light but thats been done before. Anyway the progress will be documented and posted for all to enjoy. Still searching for NOS sills can any one help?
Regards Greg
EK283
Trev

Post by Trev »

Hi Greg I can't believe what i've just seen, my EK had the exact same tank when I bought it, best thing ever untill I filled it with juice then the fun started. If you notice at the right side there are a series of holes 5or 6, I didn't block them off went for a trip to the country car stunk of petrol so I pulled over to see what the problem was, Petrol filled the wells on the side of the boot and was dripping on the exhaust pipe! had the wife and kids aboard thank the mighty lord there was no backfiring that day!
Since then I've replaced it with a wagon tank and put the filler out the right guard. Now my spare tyre takes up most of the boot. So fill those holes before jucin up, just my 2 bobs worth.
EK283

Chev EK

Post by EK283 »

Yes Trev would have been very interesting! Dont worry I dont take any short cuts with fuel Ive seen cars explode not a pretty sight. The holes you are talking about are for the vapours to be transfered to the charcoal cannister for polution control in the fords. I have already made a plate to block them up.

Did you change the tank because of the leak or other reason?
Regards Greg
EK283
Trev

Post by Trev »

Because of the leak only, I wish I had the space for the spare tyre. I didn't ask any questions about the tank and the holes, just ripped it out. Well I guess you live and learn.