Red Rattler Revamp

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Blacky
State: WA

Re: Red Rattler Revamp

Post by Blacky »

These were brand new but had been sitting dry for 4-5 years Harv - guessing that doesn’t do them any good either…. Clutch slave cylinder is leaking too ….. ☹️
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

If it’s going to be sitting around it’s not a bad idea to smear it all with rubber grease to help prevent corrosion. Helps with assembly as well.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Errol62 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:54 am If it’s going to be sitting around it’s not a bad idea to smear it all with rubber grease to help prevent corrosion. Helps with assembly as well.

Yeah - in hindsight I should have mate , it wasn't meant to be sitting for as long as it has :( :( :(
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Well , some progress has been made , not without some tribulations though of course ImageImageImage
Bleed the brakes - easy job right ???
Not so much , after the dramas with the rears , the fronts were binding up and would only release if you gently belted them with a copper mallet - yanked them off and found this inside them -

So off they come and sent them to Perth Brake Parts to be gold plated Image

While they were off we were at a loose end and in some of the stuff I bought the other day there was a new outer drivers door seal so I thought we might replace the crusty and partly missing one on the car - removing the old one took some doing as it had been stuck down several times in its life with various things , removing it took most of the paint with it so we masked it up and primed it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Looking at that pot, you missed your calling as a barista mate

EK van on rotisserie
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Got the calipers back yesterday and fitted them up , kept bleeding up the brakes and the brand spanking new drivers rear pissed fluid out all over the place ImageImageImageImageImage

We have really screwed ourselves by being sucked into buying this Chinese crap , seems to me the quality of pretty much EVERYTHING has turned to shit

Removed it , stripped and reassembled it on the bench and refitted it and it seems to be working OK and we FINALLY have brakes and a clutch

Fitted up the new door seal and reglued a couple of others that were flapping around- put the drivers door on to hold the seal in , it’s starting to look like a car again Image

Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Hurry up, clock ticking…..

EK van on rotisserie
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Now that’s a great view looking out from your bar mate.
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Got a weird issue with the front end - the front steering is SSSTTTIIIFFF as buggery - thought it might just be the fact that I hadn't greased anything so I greased it up today and still stiff as a honeymooners prick :econfused:

Figured I would start disconnecting things and try to pinpoint where the problem is - popped the tie rod ends off the steering and both stubs are TIGHT so the rack is fine. Thought I would pop the bottom ball joints out and check them, put a strut under the lower wishbone to undo the lower ball joint nut with the weight on the lower wishbone so i don't need to remove the shocks and the stubs turn free as a bird ??? let the suspension go into full droop with nothing under the wishbone and the top wishbone on the upper bump stop and its stiff again ??? Both sides are the same, feel fine with the lower wishbone and spring compressed so the upper wishbone is off the bump stop - as it would be if the wheels were on it and its on the road - but jack it up so the wheels are off the ground and you can barely turn the steering wheel .....

Anyone else ever experienced this ??????

gledge

Post by gledge »

What stubs do you have in that one ? Must be bending the top ball joint over to binding point or something… some of those ball joints are just shit.. never seen it before but ,maybe shocks are too long and letting it travel to far?

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

gledge wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:46 pm What stubs do you have in that one ? CRS drop spindles - probably worth checking with a stock one tomorrow , with CRS's history of stuff that doesn't fit it could be well worth a look.

Must be bending the top ball joint over to binding point or something… some of those ball joints are just shit.. never seen it before but ,maybe shocks are too long and letting it travel to far? Stock length shocks

gledge

Post by gledge »

Be interesting to see if the overall length of the stub is the same as a stock one… surely it is

FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Blacky when I’m fault finding on the big diesels I go back and look at what I’ve changed and work backwards, was the steering bog standard to start with :roll: I’ve used CRS drop spindles twice now (on Frank) and no problem with heights not to say they haven’t messed up.
Stupid question: Are the top wishbones on the right sides :lol: :lol: :lol:
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Found the issue - top ball joints are binding on full droop, the LHS bump stop had collapsed - more Rare Spares Chinese shit - and the upper ball joints are running out of articulation. Cleaned up some Holden bump stops and they will be good for another 60 years - the Rares ones lasted 3 or 4 ..... :? :?

Mick
State: NSW

Post by Mick »

no real car needs upper bump stops :wink: they're just for 4x4s :lol:
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter