Harv's FED thread

Got something else that you want to show off that's not an FB or EK? Try this section.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

funkyscooter
State: NSW

Re: Harv's FED thread

Post by funkyscooter »

What about a larger drill bit that you can lean on, and then sleeve it back down to the cable size?
Or use a cable barrel clamp? Like the one pictured below with a couple of large washers. Drill hole through valve handle roughly barrel clamp size, Bolt/washer/handle/washer/cable should all be held in place by the cable and large washers to spread the stress/rubbing on the cable.
Might need a longer bolt depending on the thickness of the washer/handle.
Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 11.07.37 am.png
Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 11.07.37 am.png (695.52 KiB) Viewed 208 times
Scott
(Not so rusty) Ol' Rusty - FB/EK Sedan
Harv

Post by Harv »

I can buy those barrel clamps (cable stops) readily, but can't picture in my head what the assembly would look like?

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

I use a similar setup on a smaller scale for choke on SU carbs. The clamped cable and an over sized bolt head effectively sandwiches the lever, preventing the body from escaping.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Does it HAVE to be stainless ??? What about making one out of brass ?
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

Blacky wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:21 pm Does it HAVE to be stainless ??? What about making one out of brass ?
That’s what I was thinking. What about silver steel?
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Harv

Post by Harv »

Errol62 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:10 pm I use a similar setup on a smaller scale for choke on SU carbs. The clamped cable and an over sized bolt head effectively sandwiches the lever, preventing the body from escaping.
Ahhh... thankyou. Now I can picture it. Something like this:

cable stopper.jpg
cable stopper.jpg (4.62 KiB) Viewed 171 times

That might work, if the arm is wide enough to take the cable stopper body. I could replace the bolt with a fancy ARP one for neatness. I will do some tinkering on this one.
Blacky wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:21 pm Does it HAVE to be stainless ??? What about making one out of brass ?
In the Shed wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:03 pm That’s what I was thinking. What about silver steel?
It doesn't really have to be stainless. It needs to be rigid enough to never, ever let go of the cable, and needs to be harder than the aluminum arm that it passes through. I was trying to use the ARP bolt more so to match the rest of the FED. Every car I've owned so far has had mismatched bolts. The early ones had whatever bolts I could scrounge, still with their protective coating of 50 years of dirt and grease :mrgreen: . The wagon got recycled bolts that I cleaned up with a wire wheel then covered in light machine oil. Looked good for a few years (and is a pleasure to take apart... everything runs up by fingers) but the oil wore off and it's back to daily-driver finish. I'm still finding bolts that the wire wheel threw across the shed at the speed of light :lol: For the FED, I figured there are not many fasteners, and it would be nice for them to all look alike. I've used ARP for just about everything I can. Just wish I knew how to drill the things.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

EK van on rotisserie
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

I think drilling an ARP bolt would be nigh on impossible, they are way too hard , maybe a custom machined bizzo would be the best option- send me a drawing and I will machine one up for ya 👍👍
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

EK283

Post by EK283 »

Not sure if this helps Harv,

My race car (lately garage art ) has a pull cable to the ouside of the vehicle to stop the ignition by officials and is mandated by cams.

It is the smplest way i could find to do it and it works ok. See photos.

It does however need to be reset manually.
IMG_2627.JPG
IMG_2627.JPG (4.67 MiB) Viewed 145 times
IMG_2628.JPG
IMG_2628.JPG (4.72 MiB) Viewed 145 times
Regards
Greg
So many cars so little time!
Harv

Post by Harv »

Thanks gents. I've got one of those cable-stoppers on order, and will see if I can make it work.

You'd think that a cable-to-valve handle fitting would be common, but not so much in practice.

The ARP bolts are 44-47 Rockwell C. On Moh's scale of hardness, they appear here:
Hardness Material
1 Talc
2 Gypsum
3 Calcite
4 Fluorite
5 Apatite
6 Orthoclase feldspar
7 Quartz
8 Topaz
9 Corundum
10 Diamond
11 ARP bolts
892 Snapped-off Eziout

Cheers,
Harv
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Rofl

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

EK van on rotisserie
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

You crack me up Harv :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)