Harv's FED thread

Got something else that you want to show off that's not an FB or EK? Try this section.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harv
State: NSW

Re: Harv's FED thread

Post by Harv »

There’s no doubt this working away from home deal slows things down… took seven months to sort out the brakes. Diff was set up for VN/P/R/S Commodore rear calipers, but they wanted to sit an inch inside the bodywork. After much reverse engineering, and some neat fabrication by the chassis builder, the Willwood calipers now fit.

IMG_0972.jpeg
IMG_0972.jpeg (2.52 MiB) Viewed 392 times
IMG_0971.jpeg
IMG_0971.jpeg (2.63 MiB) Viewed 392 times

Oh, oh…. now the rear wheels can go on :ebiggrin:

IMG_0972.jpeg
IMG_0972.jpeg (2.52 MiB) Viewed 392 times
IMG_0978.jpeg
IMG_0978.jpeg (3.08 MiB) Viewed 392 times
IMG_0975.jpeg
IMG_0975.jpeg (2.98 MiB) Viewed 392 times
Attachments
IMG_0973.jpeg
IMG_0973.jpeg (3.51 MiB) Viewed 392 times
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Harv

Post by Harv »

There is not much room between your ears and the burnout.
IMG_0979.jpeg
IMG_0979.jpeg (3.23 MiB) Viewed 391 times

… or the diff and your vitals.
IMG_0980.jpeg
IMG_0980.jpeg (2.79 MiB) Viewed 391 times

(note use of OSHA approved safety-socks).

Got the wiring done, and instrument panel mocked up in ply (6mm offcuts from gasket shipping… to be replaced in 6mm ally).

IMG_0977.jpeg
IMG_0977.jpeg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 391 times

Starter momentary switch on the left, steering butterfly, magneto kill switch and red fuel cutoff cable. If things go pear-shaped, your left hand holds onto the butterfly for dear life. Your right hand pulls the chute, pushes fuel off, turns off the magneto and checks undies.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Not much room between your trailer and your toolbox either mate :wtf:

Still spins me out that a grey powered anything needs a parachute :lol: :lol:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Think you need a bigger shed mate. :roll: :lol:
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
Harv

Post by Harv »

I can walk (sideways) down one side of the trailer, and step over the drawbar to get at the bench. Anywhere else in the shed and I need to parkour.

Plan is to rebuild the shed. A little wider, a little longer and tall enough to fit a hoist. FB on the hoist, FED and trailer underneath. Of course, a shed that tall does not meet council guidelines. The existing slab is within 1m of a sewage main, so Sydney Water want a say too. I’m 12 months and $5k into the certification/engineering process of convincing both of them.

Cheers,
Harv
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Those wheels look sick Harv

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Harv

Post by Harv »

Blacky wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:32 pm Still spins me out that a grey powered anything needs a parachute :lol: :lol:
The only class I can run this thing in is Modified. It has a 10.99 second cut-off. I only know of one grey motor that has ever run that fast, and he only did it once (Dennis Paul in a FED, 10.83s). I effectively need to build and campaign the world's quickest grey.
We can rebuild him. We have the technology. We can make him better, than he was. Better, stronger, faster.
Errol62 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:59 am Those wheels look sick Harv ImageImage
American Racing Torque-Thrust Ds, in 15x10. As close as I can get to a Halibrand without selling both kidneys. 10" may be a touch wide... I will have no problem with traction, but may well lift the nose of this thing. At some stage I want to put this thing on the dyno, but cannot run slicks on the rolling road. Will need to find some crappy 15", 16" or 17" wheels in Chev pattern to run radials on temporarily.

Cheers,
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

Needed to make some space in the driveway and shed for Number One Son's VL turbo upgrade project. It's an engine-out deal, so took the speedway engine off the stand and threw it into the FED. It's still sleeping, but will help with some layout work. FED took it's first roll on and off the tilt trailer. Need to be careful... the transmission sump clears, but not by much, and not if the trailer tilts a little back again.

Off the trailer - engine in.jpg
Off the trailer - engine in.jpg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 279 times
Off the trailer - bugs eye view.jpg
Off the trailer - bugs eye view.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 279 times
Off the trailer - ooohh... shiney.jpg
Off the trailer - ooohh... shiney.jpg (824.03 KiB) Viewed 279 times
Off the trailer - drivers view.jpg
Off the trailer - drivers view.jpg (921.45 KiB) Viewed 279 times
Off the trailer - I'm not to be left unsupervised.jpg
Off the trailer - I'm not to be left unsupervised.jpg (881.67 KiB) Viewed 279 times

Cheers,
Harv
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

I wooden trust that head if I were you Harv - it does knot look kosher :D
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

BS
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by BS »

Damn!!! This thing is cool!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Harv

Post by Harv »

Blacky wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:28 am I wooden trust that head if I were you Harv - it does knot look kosher :D
I should have measured the head before I sent it our for a freshen up... had to get one of the Taswegian lumpy humpy boys to measure up one for me. Wait until I tek-screw the blower on the other side :lol:
BS wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:33 am Damn!!! This thing is cool!!!
There is a certain HAMBSTR that I need to line up a race with :D

Cheers,
Harv
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

I think I just got Wood :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
Harv

Post by Harv »

Lining up some projects for the Easter break. One of them is the windshield for the FED. It only needs to be about 4" tall in the middle, and tapers down to nothing at either end. The mounting holes are already drilled in the cowl.

windshield.jpg
windshield.jpg (267.38 KiB) Viewed 201 times

One option is to make it from thin ally sheet. I have a cardboard template, and it would be (relatively) easy to cut the aluminium, then bend it by hand to the curve of the cowl. Get it to sit right, put the bolts into either end of it, one in the middle, then the rest.

Another option is to make it from polycarbonate sheet. Poly sheet bends easily with a heat gun, and can be oven heated and draped over a buck. Not sure how I'd go about making a buck for this though - its a compound curve. The other option it to cut it roughly to shape, heat both sides of it with the heat gun (say 6" at a time), and try and hand form it (vertically) onto the cowl without burning the cowl paint (... sounds like a recipe for disaster) Thoughts appreciated.

Cheers,
Harv
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

If you are confident making it out of ally could you not then use the ally as a buck to make a polycarbonate one ?? a smoked polycarbonate screen would look cool - was thinking polished ally would too but may cause a glare issue with track lighting ......

Harv

Post by Harv »

Something so simple is driving me nuts.

The fuel system on the FED needs a fuel shutoff valve. This is a simple ball valve with AN flared fittings, and a 1/4" thick handle that moves through 90º. The valve is operated via a bowden cable from the cockpit. To attach the cable to the valve handle I need a small gimbal, similar to the one shown in the image below left.

gimbal from ARP bolt.jpg
gimbal from ARP bolt.jpg (8.43 KiB) Viewed 143 times

This is pretty simple tech... the same stuff that mounts the choke cable to a Stromberg carb. To make the fittings match the rest of the FED, I decided to make a gimbal out of a 10-24UNC ARP stainless bolt, similar to the image above right. All it needs is two holes, about 1mm diameter, drilled through the bolt.

Should be easy, right?

I started out with a 1mm cobalt bit, slow speed in the drill press (about 600rpm) and lots of cutting oil. After many minutes of drilling, I was getting nowhere. It ended up making a slight dent, drilled a little, then snapped off in the bolt. I said bad words, and worked on something else for a while.

I thought I would buy a gimble similar to the brass one shown above, but quite some Googling and I cannot find one locally. The cost for one ex-US is close to $35 parts plus $35 freight :crazy:

Back to drilling the bolt. Got another fresh bolt, and bought some 1mm solid carbide drills. Tried low speed and high speed, dry and with cutting oil. No go. The bits snap before they bite.

Any suggestions on how to drill the bolt much appreciated.

Cheers,
Harv