EK head light trouble

Includes wiring and battery, generating system, starting system,
ignition system, windscreen wipers, lighting system and instruments and gauges.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

texmorton
State: VIC

EK head light trouble

Post by texmorton »

G'day all,

I am having trouble with the headlights on my station sedan. When I hit the dipper switch everything goes off including dash lights but fine on low beam. I have changed the dipper switch and light switch with no joy; anyone had this happen before and what is the problem please.

Thanks, Al
Errol62
State: SA

Re: EK head light trouble

Post by Errol62 »

Are you running standard globes Tex, 40/50w? If higher it is possible the bi-metal strip is operating on high beam, cutting power, though usually it will pulse on and off.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
ardiesse
State: NSW

Post by ardiesse »

Check your ground connections at the terminal blocks on the inner guards first. And make certain that your instrument panel is solidly grounded.
Then I'd suggest disconnecting the high beam leads at the terminal blocks. See whether the instrument lights stay on, and the high-beam tell-tale lights up when you switch to high beam. If they do, then there's possibly a short-circuit in the headlight wiring.

Rob
texmorton

Post by texmorton »

Thanks for your responses fellas,

I cant remember if I have standard globes in so will check that out Errol and when I have time I will have a look at the terminal blocks Rob, thanks.

Al
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Do they go off straight away or after a few seconds ??
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
texmorton

Post by texmorton »

G'day Blacky, lights go off straight away when i hit the dipper switch. I haven't had a look at the terminal block connections but will get around to it one day soon. Al
ardiesse
State: NSW

Post by ardiesse »

Just a thought -

It's possible that you have two connections to the dipper switch reversed. I can't remember the wire colours off the top of my head, but given the symptoms, the common (from the headlight switch) and low beam wires might be swapped around at the dipper switch.

Rob
texmorton

Post by texmorton »

Evening all,

I thought I would post for posterity in case someone has the same issue as I finally sorted out my high beam problem. I cleaned up all the terminals and connections as suggested which did no good. I was up under the dash, headlights on and hit the dipper switch and everything went off as before but I could hear the thermal cut out switch on top of the light switch clicking on and off = must be a short somewhere. So disconnected a few things and traced the problem to right hand headlight, pulled out the fitting and globe and all looked ok. Put a new globe in and all good so there you go, an internal short in the globe. Al