Vauxhall 12-port (!) head on a grey

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harv
State: NSW

Vauxhall 12-port (!) head on a grey

Post by Harv »

Vauxhall cranks I have heard of. This is the first I have seen of a 12-port Vauxhall head Frankensteined onto a grey. Tres cool 8)

Youtube

Came from a post here:
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thr ... t-14674233

cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Blacky
State: WA

Re: Vauxhall 12-port (!) head on a grey

Post by Blacky »

That’s an old video - I tried to find more info on this to no avail ……. 😟
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

I wish . . .

It would appear, then, that the bore spacing of a Vauxhall six is the same as a grey. Does a Vauxhall six have fifteen head bolts or fourteen? But the first thing to do is get a Vauxhall head gasket and lay it on top of a Holden head gasket.

Off-topic - I've found out, by poring through online piston ring catalogs, that Rambler, &*#@ Zephyr, and Vauxhall piston ring sets suit grey motors, with the proviso that the grey's been bored out to 3-1/8". Some of these sets are for 5/64" compression rings, and one's for 3/32" compression rings. I've seen aftermarket grey pistons for both size of compression rings.

Rob
Harv

Post by Harv »

As far as I know, the 12-port head came out in the 1958 PA Velox and Cresta. I'm not sure that we got that head locally though.

http://vauxpedianet.uk2sitebuilder.com/ ... lox-cresta

Vauxhall PA cylinder head porting.JPG
Vauxhall PA cylinder head porting.JPG (174.06 KiB) Viewed 359 times

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Harv

Post by Harv »

I think I can start to see why this would be no simple bolt on task. I might not have the right PA engine, but cannot see any reference to a later head in the parts images.

Assuming I've got the correct PA engine, the image below shows a PA head gasket next to a grey motor one.Not quite the same scale, but you get the idea.

Vauxhall versus grey head design.png
Vauxhall versus grey head design.png (144.69 KiB) Viewed 351 times

The PA has 14 head bolts, whilst the grey has 15. You might get away with most of them, but the carb/inlet side centre bolts on the Vauxhall line up to the grey's water port (red circles). The Vauxhall's bolts all appear to be inline, whilst the two outer carb/inlet side bolts are offset in the grey (blue circles).

The water jackets would also be interesting... not much line-up (at least by eyeball), and looks to be waaay out on the sideplate side (green circles). This is probably the reason for the external coolant manifold on that video.

Cheers,
Harv