aluminium sheet offcut

Need something for your daily driver or to finish off that project?

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harv
State: NSW

aluminium sheet offcut

Post by Harv »

I am looking to lay my hands on a piece of aluminium sheet please. What I need is a strip 4-5mm wide and about a foot long. It needs to be guillotine cut if possible. The tough bit is that I need it in 60 thou thickness (1.5mm). Thinner (say 1.2mm) is not likely to do the job.

Happy to pay for part and postage.

My cunning plan is to improve the rear main seal on the FED engine. Borrowing some ultra-secret tech from the lumpy humpy guys I have the correct Fergie rope seal, provided it is used with a 60 thou backing strip. I have a piece of mild steel strip that will suit, but it may be too tough to conform well to the rear main seal groove (even if I anneal it).

I promise to write up the process, including part numbers and photos, if I can find a piece of ally strip.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
ardiesse

Re: aluminium sheet offcut

Post by ardiesse »

Harv,

I will now go down to the offcuts bin in the sheet metal works.

Rob
Harv

Post by Harv »

Thankyou :)
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

The workshop guys let me use the guillotine. So I did two: 4 x 320 (approx) and 5 x 320 (approx) in 1.6 aluminium.

Rob
Harv

Post by Harv »

Muchas gracias.

Will give you a yell when I am closer to coming home - need to give you that HK/T/G alternator too.

Cheers,
Harv
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Sounds interesting Harv, how likely is this to be a success ?do you make a full circle of aluminium or 2 half circles ala a standard seal ???
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Feedback from the humpy crowd is that it turns an Exxon Valdez rear seal into a non-leaker, in hard circuit race service. It was done with two half-circles of backing strip, no cement/sealant/silastic.

Cheers,
Harv
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Looking forward to a write up on this one mate , have to replace the bottom end in the ute soon 👍
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
BS
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by BS »

Yeah looking forward to this one also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk