Grey Harmonic Balancers

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Errol62
State: SA

Grey Harmonic Balancers

Post by Errol62 »

I seem to recall there being a lack of options here, and that the new products on offer were just repurposed red motor balancers. Apparently these are specifically designed. Not cheap!

https://rossperformanceparts.com/produc ... DX68uO-690

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
In the Shed

Re: Grey Harmonic Balancers

Post by In the Shed »

I replaced my original HB as it was grooved where the seal ran. Used replacement unit that from memory was around the $180 mark. Has three holes tapped in it to attach the puller to (which I don’t have 🙁).

Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Why didn’t you just bung a speedisleeve on it ???
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

The repro ones are similar to a grey one (bonded rubber, steel inner and outer), but have no internal thread for the puller/installer. They have the three bolt holes for a flange puller instead, like a red.

I run one of those Ross balancers on the FB, and have another one for the FED. The FED needs one as the IHRA rules say the balancer has to be SFI rated. The FB got one because Dayco was not supplying the repro ones for a while ten years back.

I found the Ross fit to be waaaaay to tight getting the one on to the FB. Was using a Sidchrome 1/2" drive extension as a long drift and mushroomed the end of it. For the FED, I had the machine shop skim the crank end down to a nice fit.

It also does not clear the fan, so I notched the FB fan (no such problem in the FED). Also needed to make a simple timing mark pointer to mount off the timing cover.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

Blacky wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:20 pm Why didn’t you just bung a speedisleeve on it ???

Yes…… why didn’t I 🤔
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Thanks fellas. Harv I’d be more concerned about how well the thing is supposed to do it’s job of dealing with the harmonics, though getting it on and off is inherently important. Not sure how that can be gauged. Time will tell no doubt, though whether those that time does tell pass the message on is moot.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Harv

Post by Harv »

I've given the Ross balancer a pretty good service test. It's survived:

Teaching three kids to drive,
Daily driving in Sydney traffic for a decade,
Number One Son thrashing the hell out of it (many demerit points, one blown head gasket),
Towing the car trailer with various cars on it,
A decades worth of Christmas camping trips (four kids and a box trailer loaded almost as high as the roofline),
Flat towing several kids cars home,
My roller-bearing right ankle.

Though it has not been down a drag strip as intended, I'd say the Ross balancer has passed the service test.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
BS
State: NOT ENTERED

Grey Harmonic Balancers

Post by BS »

I run one of the Ross balancers on the hambster. Thing is constantly being over revd by some questionable driving and seems to be doing its job.

As harv said they are a tight fit. I had to have the crank snout machined for it. Drilled and tapped the crank while we were at it so it also has a bolt as well to get the sfi rated balancer through tech. If you run an engine fan you’ll need to tweak the fan to clear it.

HSD make some fancy timing pointers to suit them also.

Expensive and a bit of mucking around to fit but they are a good product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Harv

Post by Harv »

BS wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:52 am HSD make some fancy timing pointers to suit them also.
Home-made pointer below, from an ally scrap. Never realised how much I hated the greasy, obscured timing marks on the flywheel until I used this.
Bogan timing mark pointer.JPG
Bogan timing mark pointer.JPG (537.79 KiB) Viewed 630 times
Cheers,
Harv
BS
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by BS »

I ended up modifying a fire extinguisher bracket I had in the shed.. I should put that back one day..

Because I don’t run a water pump and just the alternator off the balancer the fancy pointer ran right through the belt path. Typical.

Will use it on the next one when I eventually get to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk