Electronic Power Steering

Includes shock absorbers, springs and steering linkages.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

funkyscooter
State: NSW

Electronic Power Steering

Post by funkyscooter »

As it seems like something of interest to a few, thought I'd start a post on it.
If anyone is in the process, or has had success setting up EPS, please add your thoughts.

Just found this link and it contains some good info if you are thinking of trying this with a used system from a scrap yard. Gives a list of cars that have the fail safe mode needed to get these to work simply, without any electronic trickery.
https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/t ... onversion/
Here is a brief article referring specifically to the popular Prius conversion
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/150-e ... -delivers/
A prius EPS in a Tesla powered Jag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpZkHs4Y5Ko

There is a bunch of after market solutions too - just google EPS steering hotrod

Haven't found anything yet that will work with a collapsible column and a standard steering box.
Scott
(Not so rusty) Ol' Rusty - FB/EK Sedan
Brett027

Re: Electronic Power Steering

Post by Brett027 »

Not sure, but I think that you can loose the collapsible column because the EPS units are angled and the short tilt column part collapes. But... there is no room between dash and firewall to fit it without removing the pedal box which is a bit important. Would be great to see someone fit one to EK/FB.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

The ones I bought were Prius ones from memory, there is a bloke on EBay in the UK that sells a simple kit to enable the amount of assist to be adjusted on them with a potentiometer, the columns were about $80 each and the kits about $25 each as I recall
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
In the Shed
State: SA

Post by In the Shed »

Finally found it, electric pwr steering on an EK Ute. Think the steering column is standard. See page 50

viewtopic.php?t=21769&hilit=Wee+waa&start=735

Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Thanks for posting that info Stephen. I will chase them up.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Thats the one , some of the finer bits could be a bit tidier but it proved its doable :thumbsup:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Has anyone got this modification through engineering?
My fellow was paranoid about not changing the steering shaft in any way.

I checked with EZ steering people and they weren't optimistic their units would fit in the space available when I showed them some pics of my current column set-up.

Still, it is a great option and worth pursuing.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
EK283

Post by EK283 »

In relation to the engineering, the person I used let me turn down and spline an existing shaft no issue.

However, he told me if I was to weld any part of the steering column shaft (not the tube) that he would require a xray and certification of the weld.

I have seen these units mounted in the engine bay but they have gone to rack and pinion setups. I have also noticed that the collapsible part of these late model installs are in the intermediate shaft between the column and rack they join to, that may explain how they are getting away with the collapsible column ADR.

Regards Greg
Last edited by EK283 on Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
So many cars so little time!
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

making a collapsible column shift EPS steering column would certainly be a challenge !! but doable I reckon - if you had the time.......

Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

You lost me at collapsible….

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

There would be room beneath the motor and above the floor to get the collapsible section in , the challenge would be in modifying the shift linkage to make that collapsible as well :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Harv

Post by Harv »

Blacky wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:40 am There would be room beneath the motor and above the floor to get the collapsible section in , the challenge would be in modifying the shift linkage to make that collapsible as well :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Mebbe bowden cable for the linkage?

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Crupi boys are all over it. They cut and shut HT column with 3 speed shift to FB EK wheel but using rear mounted rack.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie