Red Motor Manifold and Twin Stromies on 138 Grey?

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Duster69
State: WA

Red Motor Manifold and Twin Stromies on 138 Grey?

Post by Duster69 »

Hi Knowledgable Crew

My name is Paul and I have my fathers EK holden which we have had in the family since it was new. I have had it stored away for many years but now starting to look at the process of restoring her bit by bit...

I've poked my nose in here a bit over the years and always enjoyed following some of the resto and build threads! Excellent stuff...

Just a quick question as I can't seem to find an answer in here. I have an option to purchase a red motor dual stromberg carbi set up and wonder if this is a feasible modification for my 138?

I believe the block is the same but I'm also aware these are different size carbies from the grey motor equivalent?

Am I better off trying to find a grey motor twin setup or can I make this work without too much fuss? They are in running condition...

Many Thanks

Paul
EK283
State: NSW

Re: Red Motor Manifold and Twin Stromies on 138 Grey?

Post by EK283 »

Hi Paul,
The Grey 138 engine is completely different to the red. The inlet ports are round on the grey where as the red are rectangular.
The manifolds do not interchange. There is a 138 red motor but again different beast to the grey. If you happen to have the red 138 then yes the manifold will fit but jet changing and tuning would be required.

Greg
So many cars so little time!
In the Shed
State: SA

Post by In the Shed »

Hey Paul

See Greg has answered your query ๐Ÿ‘

How cool to have your Dads EK, in the family since new!! Would be great to see some pics of the car. Is your folks still around to see the car get back on the road??

Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Duster69

Post by Duster69 »

Thankyou Greg and Stephan, much appreciated.

I will continue my search for a Grey twin set up.

To answer your question Stephan, yes it its is cool to still have the ol' girl in the family. Unfortunately my father died when I was 15 ( I am now 54) so I have some how managed to hold on to her for all these years since.

I drove her for the my first 6 or so years of driving from 17,(couldn't wait)! Then unfortunately on my wedding day in 1996, after getting her all spick and span, I was backing up my narrow driveway after vacuuming the inside out and the passenger door opened catching the fence post and buckling the door back into the fender! It made a mess of the hinges and A pillar as well. After lots of expletives and horror at what I had done, my groomsmen tied the door back to the centre pillar and we took her to the wedding where I did gets some photos, from the good side! Next day I got her back to the shed where we were living at the time and she has been in various places of storage ever since. I did at the time get my hands on a replacement fender and a couple of hinges and they have been patiently waiting along time for the resto to begin....

So still not quite ready as I am owner building a house (with a workshop component) as my big project for the next year or two and then it will be her turn. In the meantime I have been collecting a few bits along the way...

So in a nutshell a long term Holden (EK) enthusiast and I look forward to maybe adding a resto story to these pages in the future...

Paul

[image][/image]
Attachments
IMG_4374.JPG
IMG_4374.JPG (797.49 KiB) Viewed 683 times
IMG_4373.JPG
IMG_4373.JPG (846.83 KiB) Viewed 683 times
IMG_5107.JPG
IMG_5107.JPG (2.15 MiB) Viewed 683 times
IMG_5099.JPG
IMG_5099.JPG (1.66 MiB) Viewed 683 times
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Welcome to the forum mate , are you in Perth ???
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Duster69

Post by Duster69 »

Hi Blacky

Thankyou good to be here!

Yes mate in Scarbs...

P
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Welcome Duster good to see you getting back into it, hope to see you at a club run soon or meeting.
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

I will see if there are any twin carb manifolds in EKMart when I get home mate ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Harv

Post by Harv »

EK283 wrote: โ†‘Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:40 am The manifolds do not interchange.
If you want something bad enough, manifolds become just another hurdle...

manifold.jpg
manifold.jpg (82.24 KiB) Viewed 619 times

'course, it would be one hell of a lot easier just to buy a grey motor twin manifold :lol:

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

I've got a couple spare as well.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Duster69

Post by Duster69 »

Blacky wrote: โ†‘Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:30 pm I will see if there are any twin carb manifolds in EKMart when I get home mate ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
Cheers Blacky... many thanks!
Duster69

Post by Duster69 »

Harv wrote: โ†‘Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:58 pm
EK283 wrote: โ†‘Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:40 am The manifolds do not interchange.
If you want something bad enough, manifolds become just another hurdle...

manifold.jpg

'course, it would be one hell of a lot easier just to buy a grey motor twin manifold :lol:

Cheers,
Harv

Some serious fabrication going on there mate! Very impressive... How are you finding the old grey now?

Cheers Paul
Harv

Post by Harv »

Not mine โ€ฆ looks to be a banger motor. Borrowed the photo from another forum.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
In the Shed
State: SA

Post by In the Shed »

Paul
Glad you managed to keep the car for all those years. Shame about the bingle but at least you sourced the parts years ago when they were a little more plentiful and much cheaper. Look forward to seeing the car return to the road.

Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!