FB ute

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Blacky
State: WA

Re: FB ute

Post by Blacky »

ardiesse wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:53 pm Blacky,

It looks like water's been getting into number five cylinder. Either that, or a porous cylinder wall. Did the old head gasket seal properly around number five?

Rob
I believe it did Rob, will have a closer look when I get home. The head is off to the head doctor for some material removal and a freshen up. :twisted:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

#5 top side and bottom side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

ardiesse
State: NSW

Post by ardiesse »

Blacky,

On the pushrod side between 4 and 5, there's a small hole for coolant right next to the head bolt hole. It appears as if the head gasket wasn't quite sealing properly there, and there may have been a small leak into the cylinder. Hard to tell though.

And also - the gasket wasn't sealing up too well between nos. 4 and 5 (the steel shim's black). You'll probably find the same between 2 and 3. It's a very common grey motor problem.

Rob
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

I will check with a straightedge before the new head goes on , probably be wise to give the block a going over with an oilstone and see if there are any lows.

Mick

Post by Mick »

Blacky wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:01 pm The original block for this ute is in the block pile , time to start chasing piston options and find a good crank I think Image

i saw an add for fancy billet cranks on a facebook page yesterday, didn't pay much attention to what page it was though
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

I can tell you now Miick it won’t be me buying one of them ….. it’s Galloway Engines in Pinjarra that are doing a run of billet cranks at around $4500 a pop :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

EK283

Post by EK283 »

Blacky wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:25 am I can tell you now Miick it won’t be me buying one of them ….. it’s Galloway Engines in Pinjarra that are doing a run of billet cranks at around $4500 a pop :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
Hey Blacky, its only money :smile22: :smile22: :smile22:

Greg
So many cars so little time!
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

EK283 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:57 am
Blacky wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:25 am I can tell you now Miick it won’t be me buying one of them ….. it’s Galloway Engines in Pinjarra that are doing a run of billet cranks at around $4500 a pop :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

Greg
Yep, better spent elsewhere 😃😃 like on forced induction :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Mick

Post by Mick »

Blacky wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:26 pm
EK283 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:57 am

Greg
Yep, better spent elsewhere 😃😃 like on forced induction :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
forced induction :think: next thing you'll be saying i should have got one of them cranks :lol:

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

The beauty of forced induction is you don’t need big revs to make power Mick - keep a grey crank under 6000 rpm and it will survive - just need to keep boost at reasonable levels so you don’t end up driving over it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mick

Post by Mick »

Blacky wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:05 pm The beauty of forced induction is you don’t need big revs to make power Mick - keep a grey crank under 6000 rpm and it will survive - just need to keep boost at reasonable levels so you don’t end up driving over it :lol: :lol: :lol:
but none of that is any fun :twisted: :lol:

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Haven’t made any more progress on the ute seeing as I have been away - got the rocker cover back from the polishers though - $50 cash , why would you even bother trying to do it yourself for that sort of money ImageImage

Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Hell yeah, very nice! Now get on with the RR.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Errol62 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:46 am Hell yeah, very nice! Now get on with the RR.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
:lol: :lol: not for at least a week , working on site until the 14th :( :(

EK283

Post by EK283 »

Shined up extremely well !!!

Yes a bargain at $50 bucks.

Greg
So many cars so little time!