harvs ek 327 wagon

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

In the Shed
State: SA

Re: harvs ek 327 wagon

Post by In the Shed »

Good job, if that’s all ya broke 😊
Attachments
29035D87-FE64-444F-AFE8-B4B6CB9D674B.jpeg
29035D87-FE64-444F-AFE8-B4B6CB9D674B.jpeg (400.49 KiB) Viewed 1442 times
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

In the Shed wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:08 pmGood job, if that’s all ya broke 😊
The speedo cable decided it was a bluetooth unit, and the accelerator cable decided it would slacken off enough to disconnect. Other than that a good night at the drags - normally it goes like this:

Now all of a sudden she started to knockin',
And down in the dips she started to rockin'.
I looked in my mirror; a red light was blinkin'
The cops was after my Hot Rod Lincoln!

Number 1 Son managed a 13.6, and was chasing my 13.3 all night. Good fun.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Mick

Post by Mick »

Harv wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:53 pm Well, I wound it up to a 110
Twisted the speedometer cable off the end
I had my foot feed clear to the floor
Said that's all there is, and there ain't no more.

- Charlie Ryan, Hotrod Lincoln

568ED165-DBEC-4614-9AE7-8C32AA13B3A0.jpeg

Cheers,
Harv
i'd hope there was more the chopped car would get off the clock in 4th easy enough :ewink: when the f#cknuckle cop in SA booked me for a lousey 12kmh over in a 110zone in the middle of f#ckin knowhere and i said you're kidding aren't you, he replied we take speeding serious in SA, i said so do i lucky you didn't see me when i had the speedo wound off the clock :ebiggrin: i don't think he was impressed :lol:
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
Harv

Post by Harv »

Number 1 Son leaning on the wagon last week. Posted on Facebook by WSID for tonight's drags.

WSID Facebook post.JPG
WSID Facebook post.JPG (184.59 KiB) Viewed 1373 times

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

What a ripper! 13s with driver and passenger windshields and period fog lights! Car looks fantastic.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
FbSTDwagon

Post by FbSTDwagon »

Harv wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:39 pm It’s a wonder I didn’t set the wagon on fire. Changing the oil out should have been a ½ hour job… not a full day.

Got a new oil filter ready, and even bought one of those shiny new Ryco oil filter sockets. Dropped the oil out, and found out that my fancy new Chev sump holds 6½ litres… cause my drain pan only holds 6. Cleaned that up, and tried to get the old oil filter off.

Can only get at about 1/3 of the filter circumference. No way was it coming off by hand. Fancy Ryco socket did not fit the fancier Cooper filter. It also laughed at the strap wrench. Something was clearly wrong, as the strap wrench has a 2’ handle. Thought I was turning the wrong way (lefty loosey, righty tighty…. checked a dozen times)… nope, turning it the correct way to remove.

Figured it was desperation time, so punched a screwdriver through the filter (OK, now we are committed). Still wouldn’t turn. Got a bigger screwdriver. No turny either. Got stuck in with a podgy bar, and a wood block. Managed to drop the wood block square between my eyes, and crack myself in the mouth with the podgy bar. Number 1 Son was wise enough to ask if I was OK before laughing, then rapidly departed. Wise boy.

Demolished the filter all the way down to the spin-on ring part. Tried tapping it off with a screwdriver and hammer. Busted the handle out of the screwdriver. By this time I have taught the neighbours kids to swear like a sailor.

Made up a pin wrench with ½” steel rod, and engaged it on the spin-on ring drain holes (see photo below). Bent the ½” rod. Straightened the rod (multiple times) but no turny. Managed to slice my finger open on my marvelous pin wrench metalwork.

Figured it was beyond desperation time, and broke out a cold chisel and 3lb lump hammer. Finally got the damn thing to spin off.

For sale: 1 SBC oil filter, barely used.
filter.jpg

Looks like the rubber seal had not been given a smear of oil when it was put on. Rubber hadn't vulcanised, but sure did grip the engine block well. Forgot to pressure test the coolant. New filter (with oil-smeared seal), new oil and run up. Oil is still honey coloured... so far.

Cheers,
Harv
Christ Harv, I’m taking the time to read your thread and this oil filter story is certainly what nightmares are made of.
Kudos for getting it off.

Mechanical 101… lube up o ring!
Drew
Harv

Post by Harv »

That engine shop put two filters on the car. The first when they built the engine, and the second when they rebuilt it (it shat the main bearings and wiped the crank in the first 10km of me owning it :x ). Both times I had to fight the filter off. I've since done two oil changes on the car, and it spins off easy. So much drama for ten seconds worth of time to smear the o-ring.

Cheers,
Harv
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Here we go Harv,

Number plate is on wrong !!!!

Only joking, a fire breathing Chev needs all the air it can get !!!

Greg
So many cars so little time!
Harv

Post by Harv »

Lol.

The rear number plate is almost as bad... it doesn't have the angled spacers.

Cheers,
Harv
Mick

Post by Mick »

EK283 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:15 pm Here we go Harv,

Number plate is on wrong !!!!

Greg
it gets me people that are seemingly OCD about so many things can put up with a number plate fitted like that :lol: :lol: :lol:
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

I do it deliberately to upset the river counters🤣🤣
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Another photo from the creek showing the illegal rear number plate and towbar.

WSID January 2023.jpg
WSID January 2023.jpg (60.76 KiB) Viewed 1184 times

Cheers,
Harv
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Love it Harv

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
BS
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by BS »

Great shot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Harv

Post by Harv »

Got home, turned on the battery isolator and the wagon engine kicked.

Erer.

Hmmm… strange. Mebbe the starter solenoid sticking, or the ignition barrel sloppy. Didn’t keep doing it, so drove it a few times. Coming home and the starter tries to briefly engage the running motor.

Scheeeet.

Not good. Limp home, jack up front and look under. Touch starter wiring and it tries to crank again, followed by a small blurt of magic smoke.

Erer. Poof.

Gingerly disconnect battery. I had harnessed the starter solenoid wire with the starter power cable. Looks like the edge of the heavy lug wore through the starter wire, allowing it to arc. Remove starter, reterminate wires, reroute a bit less neatly but less likely to rub.

All good, and disaster averted.

Cheers,
Harv