Reversing camera

Includes wiring and battery, generating system, starting system,
ignition system, windscreen wipers, lighting system and instruments and gauges.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

fraze
State: VIC

Reversing camera

Post by fraze »

Hope someone can help here. I have fitted a reversing camera to my FB ute. Works fine until I rev the engine, where it flickers and loses the picture. When the engine returns to idle the picture comes back. I guess it is either excess voltage or electrical interference . I have the same brand of camera in my FC sedan and that works no problem. I can’t figure what the difference might be, Any ideas?...thanks, Fraze
ardiesse
State: NSW

Re: Reversing camera

Post by ardiesse »

Fraze,

Run the camera from a separate battery and repeat the test. If the problem persists, it's interference-related; and if the problem goes away, it's supply-related.

Rob
Harv

Post by Harv »

You could fit the genuine Nasco reversing camera (optional bucket seats shown):

2E29510D-2FA2-4251-9EEF-9353E9AD288A.jpeg
2E29510D-2FA2-4251-9EEF-9353E9AD288A.jpeg (25.94 KiB) Viewed 737 times

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
fraze

Post by fraze »

Thanks for the advice Ardiesse .I fitted a noise suppressor to the generator but that changed nothing so I ran the camera off a seperate battery and it works fine. SO I have a supply problem! I am lost here - can anyone suggest a fix for this over supply(excess voltage?) situation???? Thanks, Fraze
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Maybe an isolation transformer ? 12 volt in - 12 volt out , a mob like Bogaard may be able to supply ????
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
In the Shed
State: SA

Post by In the Shed »

G’day Fraze

You could try one of these, buck converter module.

I used a similar unit to run a 12 v led headlight globe on my motorcycle that was only 6 volt. In your case you just need a stable 12 v supply (output from converter) to power your camera regardless of the input voltage which varies depending on car charging system. Can’t remember if you run a genny or alternator.

Just double check the current draw of your camera to make sure you don’t exceed current rating of buck module unit.

Regards
Stephen

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/13244682604 ... R7yVy8eyYQ
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Dr Terry

Post by Dr Terry »

What ignition leads are you running ? If they are wire leads, that could be the issue.

The main reason modern suppression leads were introduced was to reduce RFI (radio frequency interference) which appears to be what your problem might be.

Dr Terry
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Dr Terry wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:18 am What ignition leads are you running ? If they are wire leads, that could be the issue.

The main reason modern suppression leads were introduced was to reduce RFI (radio frequency interference) which appears to be what your problem might be.

Dr Terry
So a simple test would be switch the engine off and see if the picture quality improves ???
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Dr Terry

Post by Dr Terry »

Blacky wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:23 am
Dr Terry wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:18 am What ignition leads are you running ? If they are wire leads, that could be the issue.

Dr Terry
So a simple test would be switch the engine off and see if the picture quality improves ???
But he said it only occurred when he revved the engine. From that I assumed it was OK at idle.

Dr Terry
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

Fraze,

Because the camera runs fine from a separate battery with the engine running, you've determined that the problem is not radiated RFI, but conducted interference from the car's B+. You need a line filter. I thought there'd be a 12-V version, but there ain't.

The best I can come up with is the Jaycar MS-4001 line filter. It's designed for the mains, but you can use it for a 12-V application. Connect the 12 V supply and return to the "LINE" terminals; connect the camera to the "LOAD" terminals (the right way around, of course), and leave the centre LOAD pin floating.

See how you go. Otherwise, Stephen's suggestion of a converter module is worth trying.

Rob
fraze

Post by fraze »

Thanks for all the advice guys. I have solved the problem. Something I should have done in the first place, especially after I proved per Rob’s advice, that the problem was excess voltage. I measured the voltage going to the battery and found that I was getting nearly 13 V at idle and 14.4 V at 1500 rpm. That is on the high side of acceptable according to the manual but too much for the camera. I reduced the voltage via the adjusting screw in the regulator to just over 12V at idle and 13.5V at 1500 rpm. Again still in spec according to the manual. It only took 1/3 turn and now the camera works great!!! :vecctor: :vecctor: :vecctor: :vecctor:
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Happy days 8) :thumbsup:

FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Well done Fraze great to sort out those little problems that just bug the shit out of you. :clap: :clap:
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)