oil pump components

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

ardiesse
State: NSW

oil pump components

Post by ardiesse »

I'm on another engine rebuild, and was mucking around with the oil pump yesterday-
The relief valve was worn to the point of rattling around in the bore. So I cannibalised a red motor oil pump for the relief valve and spring. The red motor relief valve is longer than its grey equivalent, but the diameter is the same, and the total height of the spring (in the piston) is about 1/8" less for the red than the grey. The "thumb dynamometer" told me that the two relief valve springs have about the same stiffness, so I put a couple of washers in behind the red motor spring and installed the red relief valve and spring in the grey oil pump.

What's the received wisdom on this topic? Has anyone used a red motor relief valve and spring in a grey oil pump? I suppose I can drive the pump with a drill and measure the oil pressure with a gauge once the engine's assembled.

And a red motor's oil pump relief valve plug makes an excellent sump plug for a later grey, as I also discovered.

Rob
Blacky
State: WA

Re: oil pump components

Post by Blacky »

Hmmm - backyard engineeering has netted some good results over the years, be interesting to see how the oil pump performs .....
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
FbSTDwagon
State: SA

Post by FbSTDwagon »

Very interesting!
I’d love to know how the red motor relief valve is holding up in the grey pump!
Drew
ardiesse
State: NSW

Post by ardiesse »

I ran the motor with a gauge instead of the oil pressure switch, and the oil pressure was at least 30 psi. I figure I guessed the washer stack depth fairly well. Oh, and the oil pump gears were quite worn too.

So, yes, it appears that you can use the red motor relief valve and spring in a grey oil pump.

Rob
FbSTDwagon
State: SA

Post by FbSTDwagon »

Good information! Thanks!
Drew