School me: a hoist at home

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Errol62
State: SA

Re: School me: a hoist at home

Post by Errol62 »

I know that engine cranes take up a bit of space but they are really handy.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

I'm aiming for a standard-lift height, 3.5tonne Tufflift 4-poster. According to the drawings, the top of the upper deck will be at 1.8m when it is raised. I'll have to run a tape measure over the FB to see how much lift I need to get an engine in/out, but that feels like it might almost work. I have to fit both the engine and the block and tackle in that space, so mebbe the lifting beam needs to go up on some packers (milk crates.... :oops: :mrgreen: ) to give me enough headspace.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
In the Shed
State: SA

Post by In the Shed »

Hi Harv

What width shed do you think you will need to accommodate the hoist and allow some space for you to move past the hoist and shed wall/structure? Thanks
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

The hoist is 2.6m wide.

I've got a standard, 1950's issue single car fibro shed at the moment. The new shed can be a bit wider, but the wider I go the less backyard space I end up with. I'd love a mega-shed, but know that if I do then I will only fill it with crap.

My mental picture is the hoist in the middle (so you can get at both sides of the car without turning it around), shoulders width each side of the hoist (so I can walk either side), plus the width of a cupboard either side. Mebbe 6-7m wide all up. I need to lay that out in chalk on the existing ground and see what it looks like.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
FCEKHKZD
State: VIC

Post by FCEKHKZD »

i have both, my preferred is the 2 post free floor, only issue is you need 4.2m height at the apex, 4 post is good too but 2 is way better IMHO