Clay’s Wedgewood Blue FB Ute

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Errol62
State: SA

Re: Clay’s Wedgewood Blue FB Ute

Post by Errol62 »

Yes I still not entiry happy with the loom but heat gun will help.

Thanks to an impromptu meeting of the SA club mini-tubbing subcommittee at my shed this arvo (Roger, Mitchell and self) ample labour was gainfully employed in chuching the seat back in the cab. Roger's knees were somewhat tested as things panned out, and passed...Imageand the dash is in as you can see.

Radiator too with some marketplace bonnet catch bling from an electroplater out Elizabeth way.Image
Hooked up the 12V and no fires.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

Happy days 👍.
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

mini tubbing committee huh ?????
elucidate .....................
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

The agenda is roger learning from clays mistakes....

Got the seat in and fired up briefly but no throttle control.

Bit of fuel leak on the front carb.Image
Time to call it a day.

EK van on rotisserie
FireKraka
State: WA

Post by FireKraka »

Bloody hotrodders :lol: :lol:
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Yes don’t I know it!

Running and getting gears now. It’s alive again. No brakes yet. Minor knock on the tunnel. I will have to drop the crossmember 5/16” or so, see if it goes away.

Was a fair bearing noise coming from up front. Fan belt has always run fairly loose without issue, but being a nob decided I’d tighten it up while engine was out. Nice and loose again and no noise. Will have to see how the halogens affect the alternator. When I get around to putting them in that is.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Spent an afternoon on the throttle cable. First mock up.ImageI'm using a crusty old 6 cylinder HZ style one to mock up. I may end up modifying a v8 one which is longer. Need another 9mm to get WOT. Must have WOT!

EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

The mat fits fine.Image
Lump of railway iron is a great substitute for my right foot.

EK van on rotisserie
EK DAZ
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by EK DAZ »

1960's cruize control
EK DAZ
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

I usually favour a length of dowel daz. In this case I am trying to set up for wide open throttle.

Cable throttle is set up and thanks to Harv the return spring is set up.ImageImageI ended up running it directly off the pedal with the sheath held by a bracket mounted off the brake union mount.

The VH40 failed to pass fluid so the old VH44 is back on and bleeding up ok with the help of Glen's vacuum pump.ImageSorry he photos are a bit rough but you get the idea.

EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Some better pics of the cable setupImageImagegot a better spring from bunnies. Still using cruddy old cable. All but getting wot. Glen has lent me a UC one which is adjustable.

Brakes working fine with old VH44. Went for a drive around the block. Reverse, first and second all shift and drive nicely, as I'm sure 3rd will too.

Front wheels off the ground steering feels heavyish. A few minor bugs to sort before I test it properly, but there is sod all play.

Heater tap leaking, and I think the exhaust. I only have one bolt holding the rear mount to crossmember as other side seems stripped, although brand new. Possibly my bolts are at fault. They were previously holding the dust cover on a VK trimatic bellhousing.

EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Tap stopped leaking when I turned the lever clockwise 270. Bolts were wrong. Prolly metric. Should be same thread as bell housing to block and rear mount to extension housing.

I got the engine a whisker lower on the front right by loosening all the bolts on that side. The other side the draglink was closer, so evened things up, but not enough to make a significant difference. So lowered the rear crossmember 17mm and can now see where the bellhousing was touching.

EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Happy days. Steers and shifts beautifully. Speedo calibration is just about right, reading slightly high. No sign of trans touching the body. No vibration, but only went up to 50mph. Changing gears on the old box was like stirring porridge, whereas it is now very precise, without being notchy.

Bit of a moment had, when the end of the pedal hooked under the kick panel at full depression in gear, and I had to kill the ignition. Heater switch is weeping again. May have to pull it apart and look at the gland seal on the shaft. Bit of black oil dripping off the clutch cover. I’m hoping it is just the tappity cover again although I replaced the gasket. Anyway she is ready for Sunday cruise. Garden might get some much needed attention now, or not…….

EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Heater tap was an easy fix. The O ring was brittle as. 99c at McLaren Vale Mitre 10 my local, plus a big tube of waterproof lube. Prolly could have used something from the bathroom come to think of it, as it doesn't get used for much else lately...

Rigged up the dash lever with some cable, gutter blt, cable tie. Works good. Damn, that is three cable ties on the car now. ImageImage
The "oil leak" seems to have been mainly due to leaking water from the tap washing the back of the block.

Had a decent road test up and down my favourite hills around home. Well up in the triple digits on the satnav. Maybe a very light vibration at 60mph if any. I will remeasure all the driveline angles.

Throws around the bends much more confidently without 15 degrees of slack in the steering box. The steering box reco from Roger H is a winner. Just need the battery relocated now. Better get back on the van now. That's enough. And the garden ha ha. Oh yes, the painting....

EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Crankshaft +5.5deg. Tailshaft zero. Pinion -0.5deg. I recall briby posting he got some steel wedges somewhere, but can't find the post. But then if it ain't broke.....

EK van on rotisserie