Valve springs

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Blackdog
State: WA

Valve springs

Post by Blackdog »

Hi Brains trust.

Anything under about 3000 rpm it’s the usual rattle from the grey
At idle is the regular percussion section of the band in time and sweet sounding
Over 3000 ish (and not that much more) the grey gets extra rattled to where it just doesn’t sound like it wants to go any more.

Not thinking timing as on flats it’s fine (but can hear pinging on steep long hills pushing it.)

Just wondering given I have never used anything but the original valve springs, a set of crow cams springs or alternate may be a solution to bring the old grey back into order?

Thinking spring tension over the years a bit light on.

Any perspectives on a Tuesday night?

Blackdog
Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be.
Harv
State: NSW

Re: Valve springs

Post by Harv »

Start by increasing the main metering jet two sizes. My bet is that will cure the pinging.

It may well help the top end too if the old girl is running lean.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
ardiesse
State: NSW

Re: Valve springs

Post by ardiesse »

I'd also look at the ignition timing. I've never yet encountered pinging in a grey . . .
Set the timing "on the ball", and temporarily disconnect the vacuum advance pipe. If the pinging goes away, you've found the problem.

(But if the timing's far enough advanced to cause pinging, the engine will "buck" against the starter motor when you crank it over, and will also surge and hunt on light throttle openings.)

Adjust the valve clearances and check that your rockers are getting plenty of oil while you're at it. You might have to put a small self-tapping screw in the oil fitting's relief hole if your rocker bushes are worn. But valve springs rarely give trouble.

A bent pushrod will also make a hard rapping sound at about 3000 rpm. While you're adjusting the valve clearances (engine stopped!) spin the pushrods and confirm that they're straight.

Rob