EJ gearbox overhaul

Includes clutch, transmission, propeller shaft,
universal joints, differential and rear axle.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

EJVince
State: NSW

Re: EJ gearbox overhaul

Post by EJVince »

Thanks Rob, interesting article. Thanks for the offer, really appreciate it. I think though being that I have put a different bellhousing on already, will be interesting to see if same issues occur. Both faces looked in good condition when I bolted together and free from burrs, and I put a straight edge across in quite a few places. Thing is too as the article says if you match up a bellhousing to one block it will only be good for matching up with that block and not suitable to use with another block.

I am interested to see how it goes to and from work this week, about 30km round trip each day. Definitely was much better on yesterdays test drive even with EH input shaft, couldn't feel vibration or pulling on gearstick like before.

Even thinking I will try the box that I am getting couriered without changing any parts in it out of interest, if that throws out of gear too it will tell me that there could still issues with alignment and not just a gearbox issue.

I still wonder about your coke can shim idea too at some point 😊
EJVince

Post by EJVince »

Interesting week driving to work, expected it to be much worse to be honest with putting EH input shaft back in for now so I could drive it to work.

Definitely a lot better albeit not perfect, bearing in mind would jump out after about 500m if I didn't hold gearstick in top gear before.

Driving 30km round trip each day.

No vibration once in 3rd gear, but feel bit of a kickback when first release clutch in 3rd gear.

First few days this week no unusual sounds, probably jumped out once on way to work, 3 times on way home as more uphill.

Today, bit of a grinding noise in 2nd gear, strangely didn't jump out of gear in top both ways which was amazing.

I do think changing bellhousing and spending time on aligning new clutch has helped, maybe added shim is helping too.

I think main issues remaining are around the gearbox, and 2nd/3rd speed hub and input shaft.

Thinking I will drive it as is longer to see what happens, by which time I have another gearbox coming.

Lets face it, this was never a perfect gearbox design, and most parts around are pretty old and worn now, repair kits only do so much.

Will post progress in a few weeks, as headed off on annual leave soon interstate, taking wifes car of course 😁
In the Shed
State: SA

Post by In the Shed »

Hey Vince
Sounds like you have made some good progress. You could just about dismantle and reassemble a crash box blind folded by now?

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
EJVince

Post by EJVince »

Thanks for the encouragement Stephen, I actually think you are right there, I probally could dismantle and put together a crashbox blindfolded 🤣

The challenge is what to do with parts 60 years old, had the car over 20 years and seemed to be easier to work with parts back then. The gears I reckon stand the test of time, but the 2nd and 3rd speed gears become a loose fit in the hub I think, and sliding parts become a real loose fit too (such as hub on mainshaft, and sliding gear on hub). The side cover can be an issue with yokes, and detent springs.

Tried swapping parts between different models of gearboxes, and convinced that is a bad idea, might look similar but suttle differences have a significant effect.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

May be of interest Vince

Holden EJ 6 cylinder crash box bellhousing on Gumtree http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/12957991 ... source=sms

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
EJVince

Post by EJVince »

Bit of an update, the grinding noise got worse, took it to a local mechanic early April, he had it for some months trying different things. I insisted he take flywheel off and machine everything to ensure alignment was right, which he did. Had it back for a few days, the grinding gradually came back, then locked out of 2nd gear a bit, within a couple of days locking out of 3rd. Took it back of course. He tried different syncro assemblies and sychro cones, still issues, tendency within a few days to loosen the front bearing retainer which is an incredibly tight push fit so that shows the forces going on, then of course things get worse once it loosens.

Finally, somebody came up with a different idea which seems to have worked. His reasoning is all Sychro assemblies are worn after all these years. He put a shim on input shaft between the front bearing and gear. In effect it moves gear further inside gearbox. To my amazement, no jumping out of gear, smooth gear changes, and hasn't sounded this good for years.
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Ah yes, love it when a plan comes together !!

Your lucky you know someone who still understands measurements and tolerances.

Dying trade like everything else.

Greg
So many cars so little time!
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

Vince,

What a relief that your problem got diagnosed and fixed.

Rob
EJVince

Post by EJVince »

Thanks, it actually makes logical sense when I think about it afterwards, and wish I thought of this myself, just shows with old gearboxes, you have to think outside of the box for the solution, workshop manuals are fine when parts aren't 60 years old.
fbvan
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by fbvan »

Hi Vince
Interesting information with the gearbox. I am curious about the fix.
Do you know the size of the shim? Thanks for sharing.

Regards

Brian
EJVince

Post by EJVince »

Hi Brian, yes it was a 1mm shim between the front bearing and gear on the input shaft.