Ammo's Ute

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

briby
State: VIC

Re: Ammo's Ute

Post by briby »

No worries Roger, they look good, sort of opened up not flat Salt Flats, & i back up what Mick said, i've got 2" lower CRS & have run out of height adjustment, but am sure you have all that under control.
A place for everything and everything in it's place, just can't remember where that place is.
Wrongway Roger
State: SA

Post by Wrongway Roger »

Thanks for the comments guys about the possible clearance issues with drop spindles. :thumbsup:
I fully understand this as the crusty wagon can not do a 3 point turn unless I'm a large carpark. :lol: :lol:

The weather too cold to consider any more work on the body so I will play with the diff, front end and wheels.

Cheers,
Roger
There is a right way and a wrong way and then there is my way which is usually the long way.
Wrongway Roger

Post by Wrongway Roger »

I purchased more jewellery for Anne-Marie. I know will like as they are shiney :lol: :lol:
I even got new pads and calipers painted reassembled.
Just need the spindle nuts to arrive from Stub Tech. They are a 3/4" x 20 TPI :o
VN Disc.JPG
VN Disc.JPG (160.32 KiB) Viewed 712 times
These are the spring saddles I purchased from Kustom Blitz
Saddle 1.JPG
Saddle 1.JPG (120.49 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Saddle 2.JPG
Saddle 2.JPG (99.84 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Laser cut and bent in a brake press all for $54 each. Not sure if I could do this to quality and they match.
Met Gledge at the Willunga Swap meet and he has lent me his diff jig so I can align the axle tubes before welding.
Cheers,
Roger
There is a right way and a wrong way and then there is my way which is usually the long way.
gledge

Post by gledge »

This is the rodtech kit I was telling you about mate. The four bolts bolt to the jig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Rotors and callipers look the goods Roger. Even if they aren’t rocket red….

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Wrongway Roger

Post by Wrongway Roger »

As seems per normal with me on this build, it has taken longer than I thought but front brake set up complete.
Previous purchase on the VN disc were 270 mm which is too small as only 60% of pad in contact with disc.
I did follow FireKraka's upgrade but did not connect the dots as he was using VT.
VN disc.JPG
VN disc.JPG (108.29 KiB) Viewed 636 times
I'm awaiting a couple of queries on the wheels as this will determine the steering arms and/or the need for spacers.
I have several sets of arms collected over the years.
A 15" wheel clears the caliper just but I would prefer a 16" rim or even a 17" on rear.
Cheers,
Roger
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

They look nice Roger. This is where mixing components gets tricky I suppose but at least it has been done many times before. I don't uppise HD HR ones will fit.

Do you know what you have? Image

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

EK van on rotisserie
Wrongway Roger

Post by Wrongway Roger »

I think I have HR, HQ short and long plus EK ones.
There is an upended EH up at the station and I can re-bend if needed.

I had a reply from a company BSA in Sydney regarding the wheels I was interested in. He offering 15x6.5 in a flat faced Commodore 5 spoke.
Not sure what happened to my original request. I call him tomorrow.

Cheers,
Roger
Ol_Girl_58
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by Ol_Girl_58 »

Not sure if this is helpful to you regarding wheel fitment, but I’ll go ahead anyway.

I’m running 15x7 American Racing Salt Flats on my FC with a HR front end. It has a Torana front rack conversion, AU2/Commodore discs and 2” drop spindles.

If I can work out how to add a photo I’ll put it up.
Ol_Girl_58

Post by Ol_Girl_58 »

Sorry - no in-depth photos of the front end set up; this is the only image of the car I’ve got.
Wrongway Roger

Post by Wrongway Roger »

I considered the salt flats but Ammo not keen.
What size tyre are you running on the front of the FC ?

I spent this afternoon with my head under the dash making a bracket for the wiper motor.
Several carton temples later, I have something that should work.
Need to connect it the arms yet so fingers crossed.
I will post a photo shortly

Cheers,
Roger
Ol_Girl_58

Post by Ol_Girl_58 »

Wrongway Roger wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:22 pm I considered the salt flats but Ammo not keen.
What size tyre are you running on the front of the FC ?
205/50 15 Toyo R888 semi slicks.

I’m planning a bigger build and will still stick with 15s, but a taller sidewall.

I think the other concession regarding wheel choice/brake fitment is to consider whether the wheel you choose has a step or flat lip, although this will be relevant with 15 or 16”, rather than anything larger.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

I’m guessing like 195 or 205 and I’d say front guards have been flared somewhat. They would have to be over track with 7”s, hence flaring required. I’m managing to run 195/75 R14s on steel 6” rims with about 15mm positive offset, fairly low but no rubbing. Identical tyres on rims with less than 10mm less backspace rub like anything (the Sampson Magnums).

Point being try for getting the inside edge of the rim as close to the top balljoint and outer tie rod end as you can. If you want to avoid rubbing and run tall wide tyres it can be done.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
EK van on rotisserie
Ol_Girl_58

Post by Ol_Girl_58 »

Errol62 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:00 pm
The flared guards are a hangover from the initial build in the 80s, covering massive 14” Eagers.

These wheels sit snugly in the guards - I have a pair of stock guards for when I start my rebuild.

Ken McLean on the FE/FC forum is is guru on brakes and wheel track, having worked for Hoppers Stoppers.

Anyway, cool build, Roger :thumbsup:
Wrongway Roger

Post by Wrongway Roger »

Appreciate the comments as this will ensure I arrive at a good solution.
The stance is as important as being able to drive it.
The 17/55 on the rear fill the wheel arch nicely and a 16" or 15" with an appropriate size tyre on the front.

The 205/65 tyre I have tried on a old 16" commie cop rim that fits.
Once I selected the rims, I will match to a tyre profile.

Cheers,
Roger