Neils Frankenstein Ute

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Errol62
State: SA

Re: Neils Frankenstein Ute

Post by Errol62 »

Any idea how the irs weighs in versus stock banjo and springs Neil?

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Total mass not being the full story of course. Unsprung weight reduction, and if it is heavier then handling will be slightly more neutral. Geometry and extra weight will significantly upgrade traction. You’re going to need a churn in order to break traction soon.. 8 ) 8 )

EK van on rotisserie
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

FireKraka wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:52 am That's what I'm seeing too Clay
I'vwe spoken to V6 Conversions on a couple of occasions now, 1 I wanted them to send me the fitting instructions so I could prep what I need to do and 2 I asked about axles but on both occasions I don't really get much back which in all the time I've dealt with them is pretty normal :roll:
Had a similar situation when we bought a set of body mounts to graft a 45 series LandCruiser body onto an 80 Series chassis for my young bloke - we bought the brackets even though from what pics I could see it was a pretty easy thing to nut out just so we got all the dimensions etc to mount the cab in the right spot and when the package arrived there was a set of brackets and bugger all else :evil: I rang the bloke up and he said "of course there's no instructions, if I put instructions in there they would get shared around and nobody would buy my kit "

I felt like writing a set of instructions, making cardboard templates of his poxy kit and sharing it for free with anyone who would ask ..... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
gpi
State: VIC

Post by gpi »

:fbholden:
Mick
State: NSW

Post by Mick »

EK283 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:24 pm Its funny all this stuff, 2020 and still no one knows whats going on ??????????????? Relating to the NCOP.

I had a detailed chat to the engineer I have just used about tubs and 4 links. Do i need a beam test ? He says no !!!
funny that, after i say about easy engineers i haven't spoken to an engineer that will pass wheel tubs even with a beam test, it would be fantastic if we could just have a set of rules that everybody could work with
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

One for the Brains Trust
I've had an ongoing driveline vibration issue with Frank since I the high stall torque converter installed.

I get a vibration when taking off and it mellows out when up at speed in overdrive which sounds like classic pinion angle issue right :crazy:

Anyway, I fitted sedan springs to Frank when building to give him a little better ride, I've checked pinion angles and they seem to be close, when I have had Frank on car stands and run the engine if I give the accelerator a nudge I have noticed that the diff pinion lifts quite a bit which would put the angles out, or so I'm thinking when under acceleration, I have even felt a bump and when I got back from Nationals in SA noticed that the diff pinion had bump the floor above.

Q: If I went back to Ute springs does the brain trust think that this would reduce the lift of the diff pinion or should I fit some wedges to bring the diff pinion down so that when I accelerate the pinion comes up into alignment :roll: :roll: I think Clay had a similar issue (maybe) :crazy:

I believe the shop that fitted the converter didn't fill the torque convertor with oil or top up the box before Frank came back to me, when I was running him to and from work a couple of times he dropped into limp mode and I didn't realize until I checked fluids that this was the cause so I have also wondered if the low oil level might have cooked my $1400 torque convertor.

Waiting to hear your advice guys.
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

if the springs are THAT soft it may well be causing the issue - maybe a set of Caltracs or slapper bars would cure the excess movement problem and still retain the softer ride ? Even a set of home made slapper bars to try at negligible cost to see if it cures the problem before spending the coin on a set of Caltracs ?
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Hey Blacky that was one of my thoughts on the matter as well, the engine is pretty torqueeee (don't know how to spell sometimes) Might have to see if Clay wants to sell the home made ones he bought in Bendigo :lol: :lol:

Calling all Clay's :eh: :shifty: , if they don't do the job you could have them back Clay
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

I would be happy to lend them Neil. I assume they will fit up ok as they are made to be universal. Least of my worries at present. Vibration due to pinion angle is generally at higher speeds though, not takeoff. There are three scenarios at speed. Vibration when you button off, when you stamp it, or at steady cruise.

EK van on rotisserie
EK283
State: NSW

Post by EK283 »

Hi Neil,

There are lots of videos on pinion angle but they tend to get confusing. A lot of emphasis goes into getting the final angle in relation to the tailshaft.

Ultamately this is a nice wish list but most car bodies and axle configurations dont allow for the ultimate final drive angles. Also with leaf springs the rise in pinion angle can be constant not just under acceleration but with normal driving the pinion can remain in a forced up angle.

I have always measured the gearbox angle to level (not the tail shaft position) and relate this to the diff angle with the car simulating normal sitting height as if it is on the ground not jacked up with the suspension drooping.
I measure off the back of the gearbox output shaft seal surface to level then do the same on the diff flat seal surface. I then compare those two angles and raise the diff angle up or down to have 1 degree less from level to allow for diff climb, pinion moving up.

Once that is done I measure the tailshft angle to level just to get an idea what the final drive angle is on the unis. For example if the tailshaft to level is 2 degrees and the gearbox is 3 degrees than your drive angle is 1 degree and acceptable. If it is more than 3 degrees you can raise or lower the gearbox to get the angle closer, then do the uni measurement again to match the uni angle front to back.Again making sure you allow for diff climb of about 1 degree.

Hope this makes sence, and doing it this way I have never had vibration.

Regards Greg
So many cars so little time!
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

I agree with Greg. When I adjusted mine, I think I made it point up too much. I was getting vibration under button off, now at the cruise, which is worse.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

EK van on rotisserie
gledge

Post by gledge »

The more you lower the old girls the worse it gets as you nearly end with zero drive shaft angle on the rear Uni joint even though your pinion angle is correct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Hi Clay would be great if I could borrow the tramp bars if they work I could copy them I suppose and send yours back! What do you think mate?
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

I'll post them over or roger seems to be over there e ery other qeen

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

EK van on rotisserie