Chev EK

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Belly760
State: NSW

Re: Chev EK

Post by Belly760 »

Very impressive Greg. I see hour and hours of work gone into this and the result certainly is a credit to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FB Ute Stock
EK Ute in Pieces
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Hi Guys,
Got back from the Nats on Monday, it was a great weekend and although I had no car it was still enjoyable to take part. It was good to finally put a face to the forum and other enthusiastic car owners and to the SA club thanks for putting on a great event it is really appreciated.

The not so good news for me is that I still have to wait 5 weeks to get the engineer again, f$;:?&&(:, I just want to drive it !!!!!
Not much I can do I suppose but boy am I frustrated.

Greg
So many cars so little time!
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Hi Greg,
It’s funny they say we are heading in to recession, yet all around we see contractors flat out making money hand over fist busy as ever. People are still spending up it seems. Here in SA at least.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Mick

Post by Mick »

EK283 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:25 pm I just want to drive it !!!!!
Not much I can do I suppose but boy am I frustrated.

Greg
unregistered vehicle permits are your friend :wink: :lol:
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

$80 odd from memory here for three consecutive days.

EK van on rotisserie
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Yep , it definitely needs a “test drive “ one weekend 👍👍
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Mick

Post by Mick »

Errol62 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:48 pm $80 odd from memory here for three consecutive days.

we aren't that lucky any more to many people abused the system and would get one a month and just use their cars as daily drivers, now you have to be pretty specific about when and where you are going and why and time frames and why it will take so long if they think it's taking to long but only i think around $25 a day

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
FireKraka
State: WA

Post by FireKraka »

Hey Greg I feel your frustration is the 5 weeks because he is booked on other jobs or his machine is still not ready.

It was great to meet you at the Nats and have a good chat hopefully we can catch up again.
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
EK283

Post by EK283 »

FireKraka wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:26 am Hey Greg I feel your frustration is the 5 weeks because he is booked on other jobs or his machine is still not ready.

It was great to meet you at the Nats and have a good chat hopefully we can catch up again.
Hi Neil, No he's booked up again ! I should have rung him whilst I was away but I was having to much fun !!!!

Reading the TfNSW website I can take my car to the nearest Authorised center for rego or testing without a permit.
Mmmmmmm I may just have an idea !!!

Thanks for all the comments guys.

Greg
Mick

Post by Mick »

EK283 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:21 pm
Reading the TfNSW website I can take my car to the nearest Authorised center for rego or testing without a permit.
Mmmmmmm I may just have an idea !!!

Thanks for all the comments guys.

Greg
yeah when i was in Woodstock i drove to Bathurst (100Ks) no dramas for engineering inspection also Orange (100Ks) for blue slip inspections, i'm now in Coffs and the engineer i used is in Tamworth (300Ks) he comes to Coffs to do inspections but i checked and was told yes i could drive to him if i wanted

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
Harv

Post by Harv »

I did the same come engineering time. Checked with Service NSW, and they were comfortable with driving the wagon with no rego for testing or rego purposes. Their understanding was that I was still covered for CTP, though I put insurance on it anyway. Drove to Bringelly and back twice for engineering, and to Smithfield and back for blue slip. First long runs in the car felt pretty good.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Hooray, drove the bugger up and down the road a bit, 20 kays and all !

Couple of things, I've forgotten the sounds and ride these old cars have so my question is do your cars shake and rattle and how is the ride quality on these cars like ?
Mine seems a little stiff on the front but feels ok in the rear, do they wallow, bounce or are they normally comfortable ?

Thanks Greg
Last edited by EK283 on Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Driving an early Holden is a real sensory experience. They sound, smell and handle nothing like a new car. Takes a while to sort out what is normal, and then pick when it changes.

The wagon was originally pretty quiet, though over some driving time it is now starting to get noisy on occasion. There is something rattling in the rear (need to get one of the kids to sit in the back and identify it while I drive), and the spring front shackle bushes are just starting to squeak. The FB on the other hand, with more than a decade of daily driving, makes more noises than Michael Winslow in Police Academy.

The wagon doesn't tend to wallow, but will oversteer pretty quickly (the Chev helps that a bit). The FB used to wallow badly until I replaced the front shocks.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Modern cars have got quieter since 1986 when I first tinkered with a EK, but I always remember the first outing literally seems like driving a bucket of bolts. Some things get tweaked, others become ambience. I have quite a rattle at idle but it is the much dicked around with original throttle linkage. My first car, the HK wagon, I remember the owners manual said to go around and retorque every nut, bolt and screw on the body regularly, snd I still think it helps. Generally the rattles are isolated to 1 & 2c coins in the ash tray etcetera. Spring shackles seem to be squeaking already after about 6000 miles. Even though my car is low, has 25mm front snd 17mm rear bars and h/d shocks, there is no ignoring the body roll. Still I can throw it in to bends with some vigour.

Frankly Greg, it doesn’t seem much different to how I remember driving a Patrol. 8 ) 8 ) 8 )

EK van on rotisserie
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Wilma has all new bits and feels like a wild ride when I go from driving the merc to her. She is tight enough and no rattles or squeaks (other than tappets) but steering her into even a long corner at 50mph is a body roll thrill. No slips or skids (in the dry anyway) but not a point and go operation like the merc. It doesn't take long to get used to it though and then it's plain sailing to mix the metaphors.
Sucker for a rusty bomb