Tail shaft options

Includes clutch, transmission, propeller shaft,
universal joints, differential and rear axle.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Errol62
State: SA

Tail shaft options

Post by Errol62 »

Gearbox conversions would be the second most common modification to early holdens back in the day at least, after wheels, generally leading to the need for a shorter tail shaft. There are a couple of bolt in options. Many these days will get their existing shaft shortened and balanced, the later boxes generally being longer and beefier. This is a good idea and it’s what I did the first time I performed this mod on a HX van.

When I started modifying an EK sedan I lucked on to a driveline from a guy who was wrecking his defected EK wagon with 202, m20 and Hydramatic tail shaft. That tailshaft has since done 100000 miles plus behind various engine and gearbox combinations. But I always wondered if the yoke was a little too far in to the g/b output, causing premature failure of the seal and the possibility of the output shaft receiving a shunt when bottoming the suspension. Coupled with this is my intention to move the engine mounts back another 10mm on the trusty HR disc front going in my van project.

Long story short, I was looking for a shorter shaft and heard the LC LJ unit was suitable. Hydramatic tsilshafts are no longer raining from the heavens and anything Torana may as well be gold plated these days. So when I saw an LC shaft lying around at today’s swap meet I took it off the guys hands for $20.

Anyway to get to the point, pictured below, these are your bolt in options for all synchro 3, 4 & Trimatic:ImageThe bottom two are standard crash box, centre to centre 1350mm, next Hydramatic 1270mm and top LC 1238mm.

End of dribble. You never know someone may actually read this and find it useful or at least interesting. Now to get back to what I should be doing. Working on the ute.
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Errol62 on Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky
State: WA

Re: Tail shaft options

Post by Blacky »

:thumbsup:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
mph
State: WA

Post by mph »

i used a lc tail shaft first with my trimatic which works ok but the hydro tail shaft is much better
FB-Special
Big block 161 :lol:
Holley sniper EFI.
Vintage air ducted heat and cool.
Ek auto column shift.
Lj diff and reverse lights.
WA FB~EK Car Club Member.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Another tailshaft in my collection, not that it is much use in an FB. I swapped it for an EK one I didn't need, funnily enough it was for a guy to put in his FJ ute...Image

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Belly760
State: NSW

Post by Belly760 »

Good info Clay. Im hoping to put an auto in my FB Ute so as I can drive it on the road. I’ll need a new tailshaft so this helps. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FB Ute Stock
EK Ute in Pieces