Ammo's Ute

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Wrongway Roger
State: SA

Re: Ammo's Ute

Post by Wrongway Roger »

I went down the path of the XB tank to get the spare wheel well and I remember way back, that it had been done before.
I took a RDO today and only went into the shed to look, wonder and try to put a plan together to move forward.
This took a few trips and by the last one, I left with a beer in hand. :lol:

Neil, I'm sure when you are in Adelaide in June you will leave my place with stuff that I no longer need.
Not in the same scale as EKMART but gear that I have take off and "stored " for no reason.

Cheers,
Roger
There is a right way and a wrong way and then there is my way which is usually the long way.
Mick
State: NSW

Post by Mick »

Brett027 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:27 am Yes, or just plain solder.

😁Just as a matter of interest and without meaning to hijack the thread, I have a nice bright shiny Mustang tank if someone in southern NSW is looking for it.
even though it's now spoken for i should look into this conversion for my car, as planning a trip to Alice Springs this year and stopping every 300 odd Ks is gunna get old real quick i think
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

The exhaust can get tricky with rail to rail tanks. Have to cross leaf spring just aft of axle.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Belly760 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:32 am
Brett027 wrote:Yes, or just plain solder.

ImageJust as a matter of interest and without meaning to hijack the thread, I have a nice bright shiny Mustang tank if someone in southern NSW is looking for it.
Yes please. I’ll take it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sam, these Mustang tanks work for sedans because the filler tube is in the middle. Are you sure you want it, given you are doing up utes with side fillers ?
Also, you are putting in a fancy motor that will perhaps require lots of extra tank fittings for electric pump and returns etc.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Belly760

Post by Belly760 »

Brett027 wrote:
Belly760 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:32 am
Brett027 wrote:Yes, or just plain solder.

ImageJust as a matter of interest and without meaning to hijack the thread, I have a nice bright shiny Mustang tank if someone in southern NSW is looking for it.
Yes please. I’ll take it.

Sam, these Mustang tanks work for sedans because the filler tube is in the middle. Are you sure you want it, given you are doing up utes with side fillers ?
Also, you are putting in a fancy motor that will perhaps require lots of extra tank fittings for electric pump and returns etc.
Brett I’m not 100% sure now either. I thought it might be easier to start with a mew mustang tank and modify to suit. But as I now have a new floor fuel tank surround panel coming from Malcom Tompson in Victoria and I won’t really want to cut that up. Maybe I should be looking at a custom tank. I’m open to suggestions.

FB Ute Stock
EK Ute in Pieces
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Yes, agree. Stainless tank like my one is probably an option as best fit in the panel but that limits your capacity. If you fit a big thirsty motor perhaps you will need the bigger tank between the rails. Others will be better placed to know...
Sucker for a rusty bomb
FireKraka
State: WA

Post by FireKraka »

Hey Belly I've used the VP Commodore fuel tank twice now, 65 or 70 litres filler is on the drivers side but I moved it to the passenger side, pretty easy to do, not sure if the photos are still available in Frankensteins build.
As you say though if you have bought the panel then you won't want to cut it.
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
Belly760

Post by Belly760 »

Thanks Neil. They might be an option. I can always offload the panel if I don’t use it. I’ve just bought a donor car for the motor. It’s a VN Statesman with the L67 motor. I was hoping I may be able to take the disc brakes and fuel pump/ lines as well. I’ll start assessing next week when I get it back home.

FB Ute Stock
EK Ute in Pieces
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Hey Belly getting a donor car is a good way to go it's the way I've done it and yes you can use the brakes if you need any info just ask and many on here can provide the answers.

Sorry for highjacking you thread Roger.
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Hey Roger not sure if I'm going to get to Adelaide yet it depends if my wife is coming to the Nationals, I'm planning to drive both ways and if Robyn comes she will fly into Adelaide if she doesn't I'll just go straight to Narioopta.
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
Wrongway Roger

Post by Wrongway Roger »

All good, Neil as Nuri is only an hour down the highway.
Or if Robyn flys in you will need to pick her up and I'm a 5 minute detour on the way to Nuri.
The XB tank project is dead. As clay pointed out I will need room for the exhaust pipe that I have already built.
I will find a suitable tank, possibly the Mustang tank and build a frame to support it.
Lesson leant to measure then measure again, think and then act.
I will re-read the Frankensteins build as Neil has used the VP tank.

Cheers,
Roger
There is a right way and a wrong way and then there is my way which is usually the long way.
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

If the photos aren't there Rog let me know and I'll post for you, the reason I have used the VN VP tanks is so I can use the standard in tank fuel pump, they are pretty wide and you would still probably have the issue with the rims exhaust you've made Franks has to go up and over the spring as Clay said cause there is not enough room between the spring and side of tank.
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Measure once cut twice I always say.....

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Wrongway Roger

Post by Wrongway Roger »

If you have welder you can un-do any quick decisions made, with the angle grinder.

I trimmed up the hole today so I have fairly straight edges to work with.
big hole.JPG
big hole.JPG (110.76 KiB) Viewed 314 times
Thanks Clay on the heads up on the exhaust. I would be spitting if I have completed the XB tank and then fitted the driveline and exhaust.

Cheers,
Roger
EK283

Post by EK283 »

I did the XB tank in a sedan.

A couple of things to also consider, diff pumpkin with a frod 9 inch will hit it so needs a cut out in the tank to clear it. Normal diff should be ok for clearance.

You may have to massage the tank where the spring hangers are because the shackle bolts are real close under load.

I also built a frame to sit the tank on with captive nuts and it turned out a neat fit.

I have dual 2 1/4 exhaust over the top of the springs with no issue.

Greg
So many cars so little time!