In-car balancer replacement

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

State: SA

In-car balancer replacement

Post by 138 »

I was about to install the harmonic balancer with the engine in the car, when I noticed a notch carved into the bottom edge of the radiator panel , lining up with the middle of the crankshaft. This must have been forethought by GMH, as I sure can't swing a BFH in the gap where the radiator sits, but nowhere in the manual does it mention this. A 18" piece of 20mm shaft in there should make the job easier (after cooking the balancer for a while to heat it up). Apart from balancer access, the only other reason it is there is for a hand crank to start. I have had early Chevs with the special drive on the pulley to take the hand crank, but never seen a Holden with one. Anyone else have this notch, or is that why my FB is "Special"?!
Errol62

Re: In-car balancer replacement

Post by Errol62 »

It is there to allow space for the removal tool I believe. There was never provision for handcranking.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
gpi
State: VIC

Post by gpi »

what was wrong with the old balancer?
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

The grey motor industrial engines came with a hand crank option (… though no bodywork for the notch).

Hand crank, magneto and mechanical gauges allowed simple, no battery operation on stationary engines, cement mixers etc.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.

Post by 138 »

gpi wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:16 pm what was wrong with the old balancer?
Nothing wrong with the old balancer, just the timing cover seal.
I used a removal tool which I made, and didn't need that clearance on the front panel.