harvs ek 327 wagon

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

mph
State: WA

Re: harvs ek 327 wagon

Post by mph »

Nice amount of miles you put on the wagon. It's amazing the ideas you come up with when you need to fix some thing temperature. How was it towing to trailer.
FB-Special
Big block 161 :lol:
Holley sniper EFI.
Vintage air ducted heat and cool.
Ek auto column shift.
Lj diff and reverse lights.
WA FB~EK Car Club Member.
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Tows well. Funny though, so does the FB with the grey in it. Both will pull 110km/h+ (with a bit over a tonne of trailer) coming up out of Ourimbah.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
mph
State: WA

Post by mph »

That's impressive the few big hills out east of Perth we have I'm normally getting over taken by Hyundai excels and cyclists with no trailer.
FB-Special
Big block 161 :lol:
Holley sniper EFI.
Vintage air ducted heat and cool.
Ek auto column shift.
Lj diff and reverse lights.
WA FB~EK Car Club Member.
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Harv,

What ratio diff and size wheels do you run ?

Greg
So many cars so little time!
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Coming out of Ourimbah from the top down Harv. I know that hill😁
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Harv

Post by Harv »

EK283 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:19 pm Harv,

What ratio diff and size wheels do you run ?

Greg
Harrop 3.08:1 slippery centre, and 205/65/15s on the rear (for the wagon).

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Brett027 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:30 pm Coming out of Ourimbah from the top down Harv. I know that hill😁
What I should have said was" I know that hill, that's mighty impressive" but I'm feeling naughty😀
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Harv

Post by Harv »

Been quite a few times when I’ve travelled it top-down, only to find a highway patrol car at the bottom.

Bottom-up is more fun. This time round I startled an orange &*#@ Ranger half way up. He was doing ninety and damn near rolling coal. Once he chose the slower lane, the wagon strapped on crampons and kept climbing :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Harv
BILLY BLACKARROW

Post by BILLY BLACKARROW »

You need to paint the trailer red to match and it goes faster Clay reckons red go's faster :grinnn: :grinnn:
BILLY BLACKARROW
MY Father always said do the hard part first --because when you are OVER IT you only have the easy part left to do THINGS I HAVE TRIED TO LIVE BY
In the Shed
State: SA

Post by In the Shed »

Glad to hear it all went reasonably smooth Harv :thumbsup:
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Harv

Post by Harv »

Removed my Macguiver alternator repair, and unbolted the alternator. As suspected, I had snapped off the lower mounting bolt in the block. I had visions of having to try to drill the thing out, after removing the radiator. For once, I was lucky... it had snapped off leaving 2-3mm protruding from the block. Said a few thanks to the man upstairs, got the little vicegrips out and removed the bolt end.

broken bolt.jpg
broken bolt.jpg (760.12 KiB) Viewed 531 times

I had ordered a standard SBC alternator mounting kit, and it arrived in the post. Dummied it up, and now remember why I made my own. The standard alternator mount moves the alternator about 2-3" outboard of the mounting bolts. When I swing the chubby 140A alternator, it hits the subframe.

Will have a rethink over the weekend. Perhaps modify the standard brackets, or worse comes to worse put my homemade brackets back on and upgrade the bolts from Grade 5 to Grade 8 (50% higher shear strength).

Cheers,
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

Made some measurements, and come to realise there is not much better I can do bracket-wise than my home-made alternator brackets. Ordered some Grade 8 bolts, and will screw it back together once they arrive.

Decided that if the old girl was sitting for a few days then it was time to tackle the stuck-on oil filter. Got the ratcheting oil filter tool and a 1/2" drive ratchet and leaned on it. Deformed the crap out of the filter can, but the damn thing laughed at me. Would not move.

Upped the ante to a 1/2" power bar and 3' of water pipe. Braced up against the car and leaned on it for all it was worth, and finally got it to budge. Spun it off. Who's the boss now filter, huh? Who's the boss now?

New filter on, o-ring lubed up better than the sump plug on the Exxon Valdez.

Onwards and upwards.

Cheers,
Harv
gpi
State: VIC

Post by gpi »

maybe pete could do a foreign order for you?
Harv

Post by Harv »

gpi wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:51 am maybe pete could do a foreign order for you?
Nah, its more a geometry issue than a fabrication one. Alternator must be mounted flush to the block to align the pulley. To use a traditional-type bracket, the alternator needs to get out past the vee of the block... then it hits the subframe.

Cheers,
Harv
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Harv,

Is it mounted up high or low ? I know mine sits pretty snug but it does fit low mount, meaning passenger side below the water pump.

You can buy all the brackets to do this, unless your alternator is physically to big to fit.

Greg
So many cars so little time!