Steering box

Includes shock absorbers, springs and steering linkages.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

FJWALLY
State: VIC

Steering box

Post by FJWALLY »

Looking for an EK steering box in good to great condition if anyone has one - shaft not important but the box needs to be able to be re-built and not flogged out completely - going to try and revive the power assisted steering I put in the too hard basket but need a good box to appease Roger the dodger.
You will find me lost somewhere!
Blacky
State: WA

Re: Steering box

Post by Blacky »

You looking at electric power steering ? I bought a couple of Barina columns but trying to figure out how to keep the column shift has me stumped....
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
mph

Post by mph »

Maybe an external to the column rod style column shift similar to a 1963 fj45 Landcruiser column shift could be adapted.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

FB-Special
Big block 161 :lol:
Holley sniper EFI.
Vintage air ducted heat and cool.
Ek auto column shift.
Lj diff and reverse lights.
WA FB~EK Car Club Member.
FCEKHKZD

Post by FCEKHKZD »

FJWALLY wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:10 am Looking for an EK steering box in good to great condition if anyone has one - shaft not important but the box needs to be able to be re-built and not flogged out completely - going to try and revive the power assisted steering I put in the too hard basket but need a good box to appease Roger the dodger.
i'd me more worried about trying to get him moving these days rather than trying to appease him :unimpresseddd:
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Is he crook again?
I know he was going through a tough time a couple years back but thought he had pulled through?
FCEKHKZD wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:12 pm
FJWALLY wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:10 am Looking for an EK steering box in good to great condition if anyone has one - shaft not important but the box needs to be able to be re-built and not flogged out completely - going to try and revive the power assisted steering I put in the too hard basket but need a good box to appease Roger the dodger.
i'd me more worried about trying to get him moving these days rather than trying to appease him :unimpresseddd:
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

I went to an enormous amount of trouble to get a power assisted system grafted to a column in the UK - a system they use a lot on old Euro cars to make them more drivable - the boxes were very similar but not identical and of course there is the Column shift issue - in hindsight I should of just dropped the column shift and done a floor shift conversion but Ive spent the do and they have made this column to still work with the Column shift - BUT they put it all back together without referring the box and it desperately needs it.
All well and good you say but to re-furb the box the shaft needs to come back through the box so bearing etc can be changed - there is a collar welded onto the top of the shaft that wont go back through the box so Ive been a bit stuck.
I could send it back to the UK with a re-furb kit but Roger inspected and suggested the box is pretty well cactus so thats not a solution I like
So I'm thinking I cut the collar off and then remove the box and put a refurbed one back on - I need the shaft and outer tube etc as it has been cut and engineered to fit the power steering unit.

Once I have that sorted I need to look at a reinforcing plate on the chassis rail - I was thinking just a nice peeve of 2mm Steel folded to fit over the rail and welded on nicely then a trim of the mounting surface on the box so all the location dimensions are still correct.

Nothing else changes as it just gets wired up to power and job done - it works on like a sensor control - when it senses effort at the wheel the motor assists the turn then stops as effort removed - a very smooth system from all the people I spoke to - fitted to cars worth many hundreds of thousands of pounds with great effect so I want to get it working one way or another.

I'm not even sure I need reinforce the chassis as the force applied is exactly the same as human effort in all ways so there are no additional forces on chassis but Roger was worried it may cause cracking.

Blacky wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:32 am You looking at electric power steering ? I bought a couple of Barina columns but trying to figure out how to keep the column shift has me stumped....
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

The Barina motor and setup would be easy enough to adapt for a floor shift arrangement, I would be very interested in seeing what this column of yours looks like if it uses a similar type motor ? Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

It is very compact Blacky - they set the motor using underdash measurements and picks so hoping no fitment issues - essentially for the levers they have cut the tube and brought the levers external to clear the motor which mounts just under the collar that bolts to the dash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
funkyscooter
State: NSW

Post by funkyscooter »

Is the power assisted unit something like this?
https://www.shop.jammotorsport.com.au/p ... eer-system
Would love to do this but as I need a collapsable column so I don't think there is enough room.
Scott
(Not so rusty) Ol' Rusty - FB/EK Sedan
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

The System is the one attached - used a lot on old bangers in the UK that have a similar basic worm drive steering box

Clearly easier if there is a floor shift but I set them the task of creating one for a Column shift which they did - if I had my time again I would of just done a floor shift conversion - far cheaper and simpler.

http://www.ezpowersteering.nl/25/170/EZ ... ERING.html
mph

Post by mph »

FJWALLY wrote:The System is the one attached - used a lot on old bangers in the UK that have a similar basic worm drive steering box

Clearly easier if there is a floor shift but I set them the task of creating one for a Column shift which they did - if I had my time again I would of just done a floor shift conversion - far cheaper and simpler.

Mate you cannot beat the column shift awesomeness and cool as heck factor. I would have done the same just to keep it column shift.

FB-Special
Big block 161 :lol:
Holley sniper EFI.
Vintage air ducted heat and cool.
Ek auto column shift.
Lj diff and reverse lights.
WA FB~EK Car Club Member.
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

mph wrote:
FJWALLY wrote:The System is the one attached - used a lot on old bangers in the UK that have a similar basic worm drive steering box

Mate you cannot beat the column shift awesomeness and cool as heck factor. I would have done the same just to keep it column shift.

Cheers mate - I’ll do a proper post once I get it all tuned in and motor work all finished - Andrew at Dynomotive is an EK owner and is fitting it in where he can amongst all the new stuff they get - he says it drives mint though so I’m a touch excited to get it back for some summer cruising

FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Installed system and working well Image