harvs ek 327 wagon

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harv
State: NSW

Re: harvs ek 327 wagon

Post by Harv »

Blacky wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:30 pm just a tad overfull :lol: :lol: :lol: , should be able to decant the excess and do your next 2 diff oil changes for free !!
After having to break my last banjo filler plug out with a cold chisel, I was pretty convinced they were Sealed-For-Life :lol:

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Harv wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:20 pm
Blacky wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:30 pm just a tad overfull :lol: :lol: :lol: , should be able to decant the excess and do your next 2 diff oil changes for free !!
After having to break my last banjo filler plug out with a cold chisel, I was pretty convinced they were Sealed-For-Life :lol:

Cheers,
Harv
:lol: :thumbsup:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
ehsv6
State: VIC

Post by ehsv6 »

MPG may improve also :smile22:
Member EH Holden Car Club Vic
Supercharged V6 EH Sedan
EH Wagon
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Standard grey more like 27mpg Harv?

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Harv

Post by Harv »

Hard to tell... everytime I got mine on the highway, it's packed with kids and dragging a trailer.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Technical note: the filler level hole on a BW78 differential isn't really needed. If you overfill one badly, then take it for 1000km of "spirited" freeway driving, the oil level will return to the correct level +/- 1/4 cup.

Don't ask me how I know :oops:

Cheers,
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

Trying to get geared up for Christmas. All going well, will do the camping with the kids effort.

EK was due for it's oil change. This is the first one since the wiped-bearings were replaced by the engine builder (seems a long time ago, but car has not done that many miles through Covid).

Dropped the oil, and remembered that the high-capacity sump holds more than my oil pan does. Second pan on hand, and no spillage (looked like the Exxon Valdez last time :oops: ). Went to spin off the oil filter, and disaster struck.

Damn. Thing. Will. Not. Budge.

Its a Cooper filter, so can't use the Ryco cup wrenches on it. Got the fancy ratcheting oil filter tool onto it, and started to deform the can. Stopped before I tore the can (point of no return). Swore.

I'm guessing that the engine builder has (again) put a filter on with a dry o-ring. I have visions of having to get it off in pieces and then via a cold chisel, as I had to last time (see page 9 of this thread). Put that job on hold till after Christmas to ensure the vehicle remains available (it was a 3-day job last time :( ).

Dug out the pin wrench I made last time, and tripped over the welder (still sitting on the floor from my traction bar misadventures). Figured I'd brace the pin wrench up, and maybe make it rigid enough to prevent having to use the cold chisel.

I've committed every form of welding sacrilege known to man, and then some. Undercut, lack of fusion, blown through holes, gas porosity, slag inclusion... if the boily brother in law sees this thing, he will have kittens. It did pass the "cant break it in the vice" test though :mrgreen:

If youre gunna be dumb, you gotta be tough school of welding.jpg
If youre gunna be dumb, you gotta be tough school of welding.jpg (499.26 KiB) Viewed 552 times

Camping trip first, then tackle the recalcitrant filter.

Cheers,
Harv
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

I have a joke business on Bookface called FAB Fabrications - I put up pics of whatever bodgy/ugly/dangerous shit I find on the web on there - this pic I believe has made the cut and will soon be making an appearance :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin:

I dips me lid to you sir :lol: :lol: :D
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Harv

Post by Harv »

If it removes the filter, I'm gunna chrome plate it and write Sidchrome on the handle :lol:

Cheers,
Harv
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Standard fallback on the red sixes: king size Phillips head screwdriver belted through filter. Messy but never failed yet.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
EK van on rotisserie
Harv

Post by Harv »

Errol62 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:04 pm Standard fallback on the red sixes: king size Phillips head screwdriver belted through filter. Messy but never failed yet.
That's what I tried last time, back on page 9. The punched-through screwdriver had enough torque on it that it tore the bottom out of the canister, with the o-ring still holding on. I had to break out the rest of the canister in little chunks, then tried the pin wrench up the drainback holes. Bent the pin wrench. Ended up with a cold chisel, tapping the oil drainback hole edges to get it to spin. Check out how much damage the cold chisel did to the drainback hole at the 8 o'clock position in the photo below.

Learnt three new swear words that job.
filter.jpg
filter.jpg (189.41 KiB) Viewed 533 times
Cheers,
Harv
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Yep, that is a $*#@ expletive deleted!!

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

EK van on rotisserie
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

...... all for the want of a smear of oil :roll: :roll: :roll:

EK283

Post by EK283 »

Professional Engine Builders !!!! :ughh: :ughh: :ughh: :ughh: :ughh:
So many cars so little time!
Harv

Post by Harv »

The wagon made her maiden camping trip.

5BEF53BF-831E-4837-B363-F36732E45A27.jpeg
5BEF53BF-831E-4837-B363-F36732E45A27.jpeg (4.38 MiB) Viewed 462 times

Sydney to Tamworth no dramas. Back down to Singleton, then up to Harrington. Fuelled up in Singleton, only to have the fan belt screeching. Bottom alternator mounting bolt missing in action. Made a repair Macguiver would be proud of (cable ties borrowed from a signpost and a Toyota factory screwdriver wedged in place). Ran the 220km up to Harrington OK, though belt would loosen as the engine rocks.

Some examination in Harrington makes me think the bolt didn’t just fall off, but has snapped flush with the block. Remade the Macguiver repair, and brought it the 300km back to Sydney OK.

Suspect my homemade alternator mounts are at fault. Had trouble getting the Bosch alternator to clear stuff, so made a fancy bracket. Will need a rethink.

Cheers,
Harv