Borg warner 5 speed

Includes clutch, transmission, propeller shaft,
universal joints, differential and rear axle.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Brett027
State: NSW

Borg warner 5 speed

Post by Brett027 »

Any reason why a Holden Borg Warner 5 speed set up for a red motor would not work in an EK ute with a 186 conversion?
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Errol62
State: SA

Re: Borg warner 5 speed

Post by Errol62 »

They aren’t that strong. I put one behind stock 202 in HX van, was a brand new one. Managed to break the extension housing but that is another story. Not sure where the shifter would sit but hard to modify base position.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Thanks Clay. Got the offer of one.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Harv

Post by Harv »

If memory is right, the BW 5-speed (M75) box came in with the VH Conformadore 4's (the BA version) and 171ci 6's (the BB version) in the early 80's. It was not offered on the 202's.

Clay is right... not the strongest of boxes. It's only good for 260ftlb of torque. A red 202 will make that much torque (let alone a blue one), and it is not hard to make the 186 that grunty either.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Ok thanks Harv. With Clays advice as well it sounds like I should stick with my M20 then.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Harv

Post by Harv »

The common M20 (Aussie 4-speed) is a better box, and can handle a 308. Keep the bearings up to them and they last through some considerable thrashing.

Some of the other GMH M20 options (....Gemini 4-speed from Isuzu :econfused: ) not so much.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Thanks Harv, mine is the Aus M20 off LJ GTR 202 so sounds like my best option. I shall go back to rust repairs with a contented mind 😁
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

One of the guys in our club - mad Pete - has one in his FB behind a hot red and he canes the pizzle out of it , box has been in there 10 years . They are cheap and easy to fit - I have 2 in stock just in case I need one for a future project, paid $150 for one and $200 for the other. If they blow up they are cheap and easy to change out and use all Holden bits.

Are you going to beat the utes head in or drive sensibly ???
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
EK283

Post by EK283 »

I have tried and broken all the above !!

The only box I didn't use is a Celica 5 speed, a few had them and swore they were great.

The manual box I really like and have not broken is the Borg warner super T10, although getting bell housings to fit a 6 will be difficult.

Aussie 4 speed had a different input shaft between the 8 and 6 (longer in the V8) but same internals.

If you flog it hard it will break but as Blacky has said they are cheap and you could change one over in a couple of hours if need be !!!

Greg
So many cars so little time!
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

&*#@ XE 200cui also ran Borg Warner Filipino 5 speed

FB ute driver, EK van project

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Thanks everyone. Oh, by the way, I am a lover, not a thrasher😁
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Harv

Post by Harv »

EK283 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:06 pm The manual box I really like and have not broken is the Borg warner super T10, although getting bell housings to fit a 6 will be difficult.
CRS do a conversion for Super T10 into Holden six:
https://www.rodshop.com.au/bellhousing- ... super-t10/

Cheers,
Harv
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

I have a Falcon EA T5 for the rattler which - if I ever finish it - will be getting soundly thrashed.
They are reasonably sturdy but you can break anything if you try hard enough. I have 3 of them , if I ever end up needing the third I will look for a stronger alternative,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.