Harv's HR Holden Premier wagon

Got something else that you want to show off that's not an FB or EK? Try this section.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harv
State: NSW

Re: Harv's HR Holden Premier wagon

Post by Harv »

Ta. I guess those are free-spring lengths. To measure in-car, less deflection with just the body weight on it, or less deflection with no body weight but the diff hanging?

For the curious: hunting the reason the rear shackles hit the subframe. Could be bush slop, but potentially wrong springs in the vehicle… it has 6 leaves, and should be 5.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

No. Not free-spring lengths, but with the main leaf flat. Run the tape measure along the curve of the main leaf with the car at kerb weight.

Rob
Harv

Post by Harv »

ardiesse wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:53 pmHK rear springs are 51" long (presumably 20" front eye to centre bolt, 31" centre bolt to rear eye).
Bugger. That's what they measure as. I guess better to know now that they are the wrong springs than to replace the bushes and still have it bottoming out. If you're OK, the sedan springs would be much appreciated. Have got a lead on another set of sedan springs too if that doesn't work out.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Springs on my ute were rubbing on the member at the back prior to replacing shot bushes. Standard ride height ute springs. I was surprised that the thickness of the rubber bush was enough to breach clearance.

Would the longer springs make the arse sit high?

FB ute driver, EK van project

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

You're welcome to my ex-X2 rear springs (which I think were from a wagon anyway). Usual disclaimers: may need new centre bolts and nylon inter-leaves.

Oh, and - the 75-ohm resistor in the fuel gauge was, as predicted, open-circuit. Fuel gauge now works.

Rob

P.S. - if you've fitted HK rear springs to an HR, you can turn the spring shackles upside-down and lift the rear a good 2", without worrying about the shackles inverting.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Many thanks - much appreciated.

Now I'll have to resist the temptation of telling everyone the wagon has X2 suspension. Not strictly incorrect, but a bit like the blokes on eBay selling Monaro door handles :lol:

Cheers,
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

Some good results on the wagon.

Rob checked the fuel gauge out for me, and found a blown resistor. Gauge now works, with thanks :)

Rob also dropped off the "X2 suspension" sedan/wagon springs :mrgreen: . Pulled the old springs out, and the Nolathane bushes were shagged - down to metal on most of them. My in-car measurements were sus... they are HR (not HK) springs, but too many leaves - meant for a ute.

Fitted the sedan/wagon springs, new rubber bushes, new shackles, new nylon slipper pads and back together. No more hitting on the rear subframe, and back of the car now feels a lot firmer going over speedbumps.

Will do some more test-miles in the old girl, then need to get a bit more serious about selling it (couldn't sell it in good conscience with the suspension banging). Keep trying to convince Number 3 Daughter (the Little One) that a HR wagon would be a great first car, but no luck so far... for some reason she has her heart set on a Firebird, complete with screaming chicken. I need to find another job to pay for her taste in cars.

Less luck with Number 2 Daughters 2010 Corolla. Only had it a fortnight. Gave it its first longer run (2 hours) only to have passing motorists honking and waving. That happens often in an FB/EK, not so much in a late-model 'rolla. Slowed down, and once we got the car back down to idle the oil light came on. Oil droplets up the back of the car. Limped into a nearby servo, added 3.5L of the worlds most expensive oil. All good, level OK again on the dipstick. Started it and dumped all the new oil back out again. Cleaned up my Exxon Valdez effort, then tilt tray ride home. Refill oil, nothing drains out. Check under car as daughter starts it, narrowly avoid a faceful of oil. Blown o-ring in the oil filter. Fancy Toyota oil filter housing cap laughed at the strap wrench, and being plastic I was hesitant to lean on it. Purchase fancy housing removal cup tool. New oil filter, and all good. Thankfully no damage.

Cheers,
Harv