8 INCH WHEELS ON THE BACK

Includes handbrake, cylinders, shoes, discs, rims and rubber.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

ek wazza
State: NSW

8 INCH WHEELS ON THE BACK

Post by ek wazza »

Has anyone fitted 15x8's on the rear? Just about to order wheels and can't decide whether to go 7inch on back or 8inch. Looking to lip the outer wheel arch and qtr panel and possibly lipping rail edge so inner wheel arch can be pushed all the way to the rail. Hopefully this may fit 8's.
Building an EK Special Sedan 304 T700, Rodtech F/end with disc's front & rear, and driving an EK Special Sedan Grey with Trimatic and the rest stock
Blacky
State: WA

Re: 8 INCH WHEELS ON THE BACK

Post by Blacky »

I believe Jeremy Crupi has 8's on the back of his wagon, maybe OLI has as well , your backspacing will need to be SPOT ON and you need to pump the guards and move the inner over to the chassis rail to get them in there. I have 7's and 235 tyres on my sedan and its pretty tight, 225's on my ute and they are tight as well , the utes and vans have a slightly smaller wheel well seeing as they are based on an FC rear quarter.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Just snapped these on. 8x14" CSA 235/60R14 Maxxis on LC Torana rear axle. They should be ok with no load in the back, once I work the guards a bit.ImageImageImage

FB ute driver, EK van project

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Test run. Slight scape left outer on right hand bends and driving hard through dips. It's always the left outer as the bodies appear to be slightly offset from factory.

I can get a few more mm clearance by getting the mounting surface machined to minimum thickness of 17mm.

I'm running 2" lowered sedan springs with ute bottom spring added, and 18mm rear sway bar.Image

EK van on rotisserie
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

Slight sidetrack.

Been having fun with a tyre size calculator. Trying to work out what looks 'right' re tyre diameter. Width is a whole other story - but at least finding available sizes is a start.

Based on some searching standard EK tyres are around 185/80 R13. Is this right?

So been using the calculator to find sizes that approximate that tyres diameter 627mm.

Just punched in Clay's tyre in and here's the comparison.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?ti ... -235-60r14

So a bit bigger than "standard"

I had a set of Falken tyres on my Karmann that had really straight sidewalls so I managed to shoehorn a reasonably wide tyre under there. 15 years later that tyre is no longer available and I can't find anything in that style. I think that would help the rubbing in a straight line but not round a corner
Scott
(Not so rusty) Ol' Rusty - FB/EK Sedan
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Original was 6.4 13" which is equivalent to 165, and I think 24" tall or 610mm, so 165/85 13 would be closest I think. Taller tyres give a more comfortable ride and fill the guards to look nicer in my opinion. I'm running 195/75R14 on p5 6" rims on the front now and they still rub slightly with 2" lowered HR front end, but don't they look nice?

Front track is 1421mm now and legal max is 1410. I will be getting some p12 14" steelies made up to go over the pits. Theyveill barely clear top co trol arms. Hopefully they won't rub or I will have to go to smaller front tyres. Or maybe cut the guards and fit A9X flares. Oops, sorry wrong forum. Image

EK van on rotisserie
mph
State: WA

Post by mph »

I sat a 235 and 245 in the wheel arch and it was tight to the inner gaurd, the rim offset was wrong so i couldn't bolt it up but i wouldn't have thought much more than a 215 would be ok with out large rubbing issues.

I have just dropped some 14x7 to suit lj diff off to be blasted and painted and will be fitting 215 60 14 to them for the rear.
I tried a 215 65 14 but looks a little tall the more I look at it on my car.

ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

FB-Special
Big block 161 :lol:
Holley sniper EFI.
Vintage air ducted heat and cool.
Ek auto column shift.
Lj diff and reverse lights.
WA FB~EK Car Club Member.
ek wazza

Post by ek wazza »

Thanks everyone, i think 7 inch on the rear would be the safest bet
Building an EK Special Sedan 304 T700, Rodtech F/end with disc's front & rear, and driving an EK Special Sedan Grey with Trimatic and the rest stock