Clay’s Wedgewood Blue FB Ute

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Errol62
State: SA

Re: Clay’s Wedgewood Blue FB Ute

Post by Errol62 »

I anticipate another creak to further enhance the old Holden character. Front suspension is squeaking too. Will see what some grease does.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Drilled and re tapped sheared gearbox mount bolt and tightened up the exhaust. I tried welding bits on and turning with multigrips but too tight.

Was the selector shaft seal leaking not rear seal, so will swap the cover from the old box that has a pair of the new seals in it. Although the other ones control lever seal seems very good. I can't seem to open it up. See on the left that it has a washer which is on tight.Image

FB ute driver, EK van project

EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Well well, who’d have thought. Engine oil leak was the result of my failure to properly install the fuel pump diaphragm shaft oil seal when hastily refurbishing soon before heading to Toowoomba. I’m much happier with the job I dun this time. Billy and Roger, look out. You aren’t the only ones need to do things in a round about way. How I screw the lid off a jar is I hold on to the lid and turn the jar, so there…

Anyhow I can hopefully tick oil leaks off my list now. Don’t talk to me about that spring under the dash. It’s coming along. Will top up box and fit flywheel cover, adjust linkage and see how it goes.

Ratted tailgate lever from the van. Curious that the threads in the old one were fine but the one from the EK van are coarse. Anyway it’s workingImage
Just need to paint the bolt heads.

Adjusted the drivers door out and back at the top. All the gaps look better except top of guard. Doesn’t seem to be closing any easier, still feels like it is pivoting somewhere in the top front corner.Image

Greg Bell says he has a spare on of switch for my radio. Also I bought another radio so may use that in the meantime and save this one for the van. Not a big priority.

EK van on rotisserie
In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

Good job Clay,
Oil leaks are a pain.....
Is the retaining screw for the mirror arm fouling the seal/gutter when you close door?

Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Yer it was a bit before Stephen. May still be the culprit yet.

EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Took the mirror off, no difference, grrr.

Had a ring around regarding p5 offset 6x14 HT rims. Got refferred to BCI Wheels at Geelong. Very helpful but in the end Aaron at Extensive Wheel is cheaper and easier, at $220 per rim with me supplying the centres. Still a bit pricey for my liking. The torana rear has limited my rim choice to the 7" steelies, or may be 8" cheviots if I don't carry anything.

New Rare Spares Speedo cable didn't have the coil steel protector fitted, so stripped off dud nos one. Was a mission to get it on the cable, but came out good.Image

EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Finishing off underneath. One inner lower bush was slightly loose in the wishbone end. The angled grease nipple gave it away when found I was turning the bush. Only took a nip to be at 60ftlb. Carefully greased up. Some bushes go to resistance at a half pump. They will loosen up in time.

Finally changing the oil, which I intended to do along the way. Done 7000km. Cut the filter open just oil in there.

Somewhat tidyed up firewall grommet with help from heat gun. Far from happy with it but will do for now.ImageImage

EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Re-fiddled fuel pump wasn’t pumpingImage
Fiddled with a few things under bonnet, played with linkages. Trouble getting the reverse light switch lined up. Speedo and dash back in. Running again on fresh oil and filter. Ready to hit the road. Self isolation ends tomorrow.

EK van on rotisserie
Belly760
State: NSW

Post by Belly760 »

Glad u made it to the other end of isolation Clay. And got a few things done on the Ute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FB Ute Stock
EK Ute in Pieces
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Cheers Sam

EK van on rotisserie
FireKraka
State: WA

Post by FireKraka »

Well done Clay no worries about mental health when you have an old holden in the shed to keep you busy, glad you got to the end of it.
Neil
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Coming out of isolation worry’s me more than being in it, I know that.

Still need to do some rust repair. The trip showed up the chassis leg in front of driver side front leaf hanger has some holes, will need a decent size patch.

Need to save some cash now so I can put tyres on the 14” Sampson’s. The 6” front runners are perfect track, as are the 8” rears. Just as long as there is no load in the back.

EK van on rotisserie
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Just looking through your latest photos and it reminded me to ask if there is an option to have a grommet on the thicker of the two gearbox levers. One of my boxes has it, the other doesn't.
Hope you are getting better weather on your new found freedom than we are here🥶
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

I have a rubber o ring on the control lever as an oil seal. That is the vertical one. Works well, in the short term at least. The selector lever has two lip seals on it.

Weathers here is relatively extreme. 30 knot wind, 25mm rain and cold, with a chance of hail. Thinking about a surf in the morning. Just thinking……

EK van on rotisserie
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

I meant the hole where the linkage attaches- not the shaft seal. Sorry.😁.
Good luck with the surf tomorrow.
Sucker for a rusty bomb