Rack and Pinion Steering

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Sammy
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by Sammy »

yeah the reason i went for the rear mount rack is:

1. it follows a fairly similar location and movement area to the original linkage steering setup.

2. i've been told you don't loose any steering lock from it. (and thus far only thing thats stopping me getting full lock is needing to modify upper control arms for the twin piston calipers)

3. commodore rack is a bit newer than torana rack and should mean parts are easier to get and the rack is newer to start off with.

from steering the car around the yard in and out of the shed etc with the engine and everything in it the steering feels really light and it all seems to work well so far, but the real test will be at speed over bumps and the like!
Regards,

Sammy.

http://www.oldholdens.com
beersy

Rear Mounted Rack

Post by beersy »

Hi NoMad
if you are thinking about putting in an 8 Holden 8's have an external oil pump so if you do fit a rear rack you can modify the sump by moving the oil pickup where as the Chev uses an internal pump thats at the back of the motor & also you can fit your exhaust without having to go out through the inner guards.
Dave lord of the bits & pieces
Belly760
State: NSW

Re: Rack and Pinion Steering

Post by Belly760 »

So it’s been a while since this thread has had any action. Has anyone done power steering yet??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FB Ute Stock
EK Ute in Pieces
62MLOO

Post by 62MLOO »

I have a BMW power steering rack mounted on the front of my crossmember. Cant tell you how good or bad it is yet but seems to have a decent lock.
Mick
WRAPAROUND WINDSCEENS AND SQUARE QUARTER WINDOWS RULE !!
Mick

Post by Mick »

i'm not sure why anybody would want power steer unless your missus's are driving the cars or you have spaghetti arms, i've had a V8 van and my current car with red six and rack & pinion both can be steered one handed even while not moving
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Mine is light but not real direct - it would be good to quicken it up but the more direct the heavier it will be , if the Beemer rack gives a good turns ratio it would be a winner.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
62MLOO

Post by 62MLOO »

Well I just remember back when I had the 308 in it with one of the original Hadfield HR crossmembers, (that from memory had a shortened Torana rack), 13 inch steering wheel and 7 inch boots you needed arms like Arnie to do a U turn and a normal three point turn was more like a 5 point requiring every bit of 4 lanes. As far as Mod cons go I'm not fussed with Aircondish cause EK's are blessed with 1/4 windows but I do want to be able to steer it comfortably with one hand while i'm jammin the gears with the other.
WRAPAROUND WINDSCEENS AND SQUARE QUARTER WINDOWS RULE !!
Harv

Post by Harv »

Its interesting how similar parts can come together and feel different. I've got the old CRS front end, Chev, 7" wheels and small tiller in my wagon, and it is pretty light to turn. Lighter than a stock FB/EK.

.... course, it does need 500-points to do a U-turn. Really bad turning circle.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
FireKraka
State: WA

Post by FireKraka »

I think I have talked about the rear mounted racks somewhere else before, I have used the VH manual rack that V6 Conversions does, twice, they steer lightly and have no bump steer and a good turning circle, for my 2 cents worth I think power steering would be way to light.
Neil
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
Belly760

Post by Belly760 »

Thanks Neil. I appreciate any feedback. I like the idea of a car with all the mod cons but looking stock standard from the outside. We see small cars on the road with power steering now a days that’s why is asked. I’m so green when it comes to car restoration so you will have to forgive my questions as I move through my project. I’ll start a page soon. I have so much to learn. And I love that you guys share your knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FB Ute Stock
EK Ute in Pieces