Fuel issue

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

yaapeet30
State: NOT ENTERED

Re: Fuel issue

Post by yaapeet30 »

Have a look at this Youtube clip. Graeme starts a grey in an EJ that has been idle for at least 15 years. He problem solves a similar issue which ends up been a gummed up pick up tube possible caused by old petrol. He uses a vacuum tool to suck up the fuel from the tank. No need for the VB mouth rinse-haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM22W7kdsc0&t=669s

By the way if you are interested in rust repairs this bloke is brilliant. A lot of his work is on &*#@ Coupes but does other makes as well. He is in South Oz. I always look forward to his new video releases. By the way the video link above was only released today. Seems quite timely.

Cheers Rod
yaapeet30
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by yaapeet30 »

Oh, skip to 20 minutes if you don't want to watch the whole video.

Cheers Rod
PEARO
State: QLD

Post by PEARO »

Thanks so much for the tips fellas. That video seems to be very similar situation to what I have. I’m away for the weekend but will get back into it on Monday, think I’ll pick up a vacuum pump and avoid the lick, sip, suck and spit method Harv put forward. Would hate to ruin the taste of VB forever 🤪
Thanks again everyone I’ll keep you posted
Rob
PEARO

Post by PEARO »

Well…. After a lot of mucking around and a lot of advice from you fellas I’ve had success!
It was a blocked fuel pick up in the tank. I bought some SS tie wire and rodded the outlet of the tank into the tank, it took some force and effort and quite a few attempt but finally broke through the blockage. I probably fed in about 300mm of wire in until I couldn’t feed in any more, then just kept rodding it until it broke through. I hooked up a long piece of clear tube and siphoned it with my mouth as Harv suggested. Just as well I used a long piece of clear hose, I could see it coming, I didn’t get any in my mouth therefore didn’t require the spit and VB chaser Harv recommended (just as well as VB would never taste the same again). The amount of black crap that came out was incredible, siphoned until it was clear. Hooked it all back up a shot of fuel down the carb throats and it started up and sat at an even idle.
Thanks again for everyone’s advice and help! Happy days.. now onto the next job.
Cheers
Rob
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Gotta love a happy ending Pearo, if memory serves me correctly - and it is getting rarer and rarer these days , the fuel pickup had a screen on it inside the tank ? Maybe it was coated in crap and you have popped it off , or the other option - I am talking out of my rrrrs :lol:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Brett027
State: NSW

Post by Brett027 »

Thanks for posting the outcome Rob. Good info for those of us newbies😀.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
PEARO

Post by PEARO »

Well if there was a screen on the end of the pick up line (and quite possible cause it took some force to get it off) I’m wondering if this screen floating around in the tank will cause any issue. If anyone has any info on this I would appreciate your thoughts. Oh by the way the car in question is an FC Holden with a grey motor.
Cheers
Rob
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

No screen… just the open riser pipe. Soldered to the inlet hole and soldered to the tank floor. Runs down to near the drain plug.

385AC8FD-6B3F-4209-B108-79EE444D9B7C.jpeg
385AC8FD-6B3F-4209-B108-79EE444D9B7C.jpeg (2.84 MiB) Viewed 337 times

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
PEARO

Post by PEARO »

Thanks Harv.
Well….looks like it must have been just blocked. I must have punched through the blockage and when I siphoned the fuel through it brought all the crap with it. The first litre of fuel that came out was black and full of crap and smelt like varnish until the fresh fuel flowed through. I guess if you leave fuel in your tank for seven years that’s what happens. :roll:
Thanks again for all the help.

Rob