Harv's marinised grey motor thread

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Craig Allardyce
State: VIC

Re: Harv's marinised grey motor thread

Post by Craig Allardyce »

The blue section should be the timing cover seal running surface.

I forgot to add that this coupling is part of the cast timing cover assembly. This is a direct drive arrangement - no dog clutch.

I have a grey motor dog clutch set up which incorporates a thrust assembly integral to the timing cover housing. It is different again to what you have.
IMG_4801.JPG
IMG_4801.JPG (252.27 KiB) Viewed 443 times
postlong2a.jpg
postlong2a.jpg (35.36 KiB) Viewed 439 times
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Thanks Craig - appreciated. It helps explain why the Tawco timing cover seal/bearing setup shown earlier in this thread is so chunky.

Interestingly, I've got another ally timing cover at home (assume marine - see http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... 7&start=30) that has a similar beefy seal/bearing setup, but no wings to mount to the hull. It had a 2" ID oil seal and heavy ball bearing mounted in it (Presco seal P3246 2” ID, 27/8”OD, ½” thick. Axial deep groove ball bearing Hoffman England W1-5/8. 2.469” OD, 15/8”ID, 0.719 thick). The seal and bearing accepted a solid steel piece that would allow some form of equipment to bolt up to the grey crank. I assume that the thrust for this one would be taken externally, perhaps similar to your dogclutch setup.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Craig Allardyce

I reckon that cover has had the legs cut off or uses the standard sandwich plate with the front mount. It maybe an ex boat set up used in another application as well???? Harv the "mechanical archaeologist"
Harv

Post by Harv »

Craig Allardyce wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:19 am I reckon that cover has had the legs cut off or uses the standard sandwich plate with the front mount. It maybe an ex boat set up used in another application as well????
Could well have had the legs cut off. I haven't looked too close, but the overall finish has quite a few dings and belts that may hide the cut-off marks. It had been acquired by one of the lumpy humpy guys, who was generous enough to pass it along for my meth monster project (I owe him more than a few beers). It had been wall-art for quite a while.
Craig Allardyce wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:19 am Harv the "mechanical archaeologist"
I spoke to Tawco not long before Christmas, who were really good to deal with. Apparantly the business changed hands a little while ago. There were some records (on small bits of paper), but a lot of the Tawco info was stored in the original owners heads. Nothing written down that they know of for early Holdens - most of the records start in the 308 era. Very nice people to talk to though.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Timing cover without the wings from eBay:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/31245274583 ... BSGbXLPh5Y
Marinised grey.jpg
Marinised grey.jpg (185.81 KiB) Viewed 408 times
Cheers,
Harv
Craig Allardyce

That's a standard pressed steel cover. No thrust set up there. I dare say by the design of the coupling that an external thrust is used on the prop shaft.
Harv

Post by Harv »

It only took me three years, but I finally got the cam measured up (from page 1 of this thread). It's stamped 680 on the end. Results below:

grey motor cams.jpg
grey motor cams.jpg (232.89 KiB) Viewed 312 times

Its a monster of a cam, and no wonder that it did not run well on a street-driven humpy. Talking to Clive, he is pretty confident that this was a Repco ground cam, as the lobe lift is very small. Most likely a specific one ground for the crossflow head in marine service.

The Repco cams for the crossflow head were HP1 (racing) and HP2 and 3 (sports). The only data I have for them is that the HP1 had 80 degrees of valve overlap. This cam has 98.5 degrees... lumpier still.

Cheers,
Harv
Craig Allardyce

Nice work Andrew.

I'll plug this into my program and see how it comes up. Pity I already have had my cam ground by Clive. He never recommended this one at all knowing that it was for a crossflow headed grey.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Full cam card info below.

3F877706-A204-4A12-B9AD-1F657ACDCD72.jpeg
3F877706-A204-4A12-B9AD-1F657ACDCD72.jpeg (3.15 MiB) Viewed 291 times

Cheers,
Harv