AC Fuel pump resto

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

OLUOOT
State: NOT ENTERED

AC Fuel pump resto

Post by OLUOOT »

G'day all. First post, long-time reader. :eugeek: One of the great early Holden sites on the web. :thumbsup:
I am busy pasting all the bits back together with my grey motor and I know down the not-so-distant future, I'm going to have to put a kit through the fuel pump, mainly to drive my vacuum wipers. I know there are are other ways around the problem, but I thought it best to ask whether anyone had found somewhere that still provides kits for the dual action AC fuel pumps. My diaphragms are reasonable, but the oil seals ave gone to god.
I've seen a few AC delco pump kits available for older pumps in the States for Pontiacs, Buicks etc, but the ID numbers are no match for the pumps used on early Holden's ( the parts look the same ).
Any leads would be greatly appreciated., Cheers
Blacky
State: WA

Re: AC Fuel pump resto

Post by Blacky »

Welcome to the forum mate, I used Goss kits to redo the fuel/vacuum pump on my ute , that was only about 2 years ago so they should still be around.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
OLUOOT

Post by OLUOOT »

Thanks guys for the leads. I thought I was home and hose when I uploaded the Goss product listing.
275KT is the kit they list for the dual action pump, BUT.... They no longer supply the 275KT kit AND.... There was no way I could find whether the kit had both diaphragms in it (the fuel pumper and the vacuum pumper diaphragms).
Looking at the FB AC pump kit on eBay at the moment, there is only the fuel pump diaphragm included.
I may have to manufacture my own vacuum diaphragm and do some serious searching for an oil seal. If anyone has gone down this track, I would love to hear some stories.... I can't drive on clear days forever... :?
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Similar story with the red motor Goss fuel pump kits - no longer made (though the full reproduction pump is).

Cheers,
Harv.
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
OLUOOT

Post by OLUOOT »

It just goes to show that you can never take an answer for gospel. I had a second look through a local parts suppliers box of old unsold Goss pump kits and found just the kits I needed in incorrectly labeled boxes. I paid $65 for it which is good money for something that rarely comes up for sale.
I will make sure that I add a photo of the kits laid out so it may provide reference to the next poor soul that is chasing a dual pump kit?
I spoke with a local fuel pump/carby repairer and he had never seen the diaphragm material in sheet form for sale. He couldn't tell me what sort of neoprene matting would do the job either. I was prepared to build a new diaphragm, but that gate of opportunity was rapidly closing for me too.
I still find it unbelievable that a kit that was so easily available just 5 years ago has almost become extinct today. Surely someone is going to start making parts for this kit, otherwise we can kiss our old dual action pumps goodbye.
Ps. Thanks folks who pm'ed me and offered me avenues of help or ideas. Viva la ol Holden Communitee !! :thumbsup:
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Bump

FB ute driver, EK van project

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Started reviving my pump for the ute as it seemed to be letting the fuel drain back to the tank between weekends. It is an AC fuel only from EK or EJ as the valves are held in with a small plate, secured by two dome head screws.

Bought a rather expensive kit $95 made in Slovenia, which does not include the pivot pin and retaining welch plugs. So I am leaving the pivot in place.

I am having great difficulty engaging the diaphragm rod on the end of the actuator lever with the spring, oil seal rubber and retainer in place. Any tips please?

EK van on rotisserie
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

cant you buy an entire new red motor fuel pump for less than $95 ?????

https://www.sparesbox.com.au/part/goss- ... AHEALw_wcB
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Might be the way to go thanks Blacky.

Thanks Tim. May have to remove it and improvise the missing bits. Bush mechanic fix is a piece of acacia twig for the pivot and glass fuse ends for the plugs. Pastoralist did it to my mates EH wagon out back of Leigh Creek in the eighties.

EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Pulled the pin, and I venture to say without this it would be impossible. The pin was unworn. Peened out the brass plugs and reused with permatex for good measure.

All these bits left over and I didn't replace the brass screen with the soppy plastic one.ImageImage

EK van on rotisserie