Getting paint mixed

Includes sheet metal, rubbers, bumpers, badges and rust repairs.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

anotherfbnewbie
State: SA

Getting paint mixed

Post by anotherfbnewbie »

Could be a stupid question but you don't know if you don't ask.

Is it possible to get a paint shop to mix up a specific colour if you just supply the original GMH paint code?

Just wanting a couple of aerosol rattle cans for some minor touch ups.

Desert glow and sandstone beige.

Thanks
[i][b]What could possibly go wrong?[/b][/i]
Errol62

Re: Getting paint mixed

Post by Errol62 »

My local Lonsdale Paints Steve Turner will do it. He is a genuine Holden nut like us, and can practically recite the paint code table from memory.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
EK283
State: NSW

Post by EK283 »

Most paint shops will do it, the only issue is the colour may be different due to manufacturer pigment variations and also colour fade from the sun on the original paint.
Greg
So many cars so little time!
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

It’s best to take the car to a paint shop with a spectrometer, they can then match the paint to the colour on the car.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
anotherfbnewbie

Thanks for all the replies, will give Steve a call tomorrow.

And thanks for the gear stick Clay
Attachments
Gear Knob.jpg
Gear Knob.jpg (2.35 MiB) Viewed 624 times
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

As Tim points out the duco colours can’t be mixed from formula. Steve will probably want to match by eye. Give him a call.

EK van on rotisserie
Fex
State: QLD

Post by Fex »

Errol62 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:33 pm ImageImage

As Tim points out the duco colours can’t be mixed from formula. Steve will probably want to match by eye. Give him a call.

When they match by eye do they have samples swatches to get it close and then finish tinting by eye? And if so, do they record so you can go back for more if you need it? Or do they literally do it from scratch?

Is a spectrometer a mobile scanner they can take out to the car outside? What size sample do they need for a reliable scan?

Apologies, haven’t ever been anywhere near the painting stage on a project.

Cheers, Andrew
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Ask around local restorers and find a shop that is helpful and know their stuff. Old school use swatches and vary formula on a panel you bring in and will be able to reproduce. My local charges $50 to match as of recently.

EK van on rotisserie
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

A mate of mine sells automotive paint and he needs a bit about the size of a cigarette packet to match it with the spectrometer, it’s pretty accurate
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Some spectometers are mobile. I bought some touchup paint for the HR wagon (Silver Mink) by code, and it was nowhere near the same colour as the car. Doubt it is paint fade... suspect the car was repainted in something other than Silver Mink. Took the car to the panelbeater, who ran the machine over it. Turns out to be a weird colour used on Chery Chineses 4WDs, at least in theory. The new touchup paint he blended is spot-on.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
fraze
State: VIC

Post by fraze »

the guys at Complete Auto Paints, Westall, Melbourne, are brilliant with older paint colours. When I had the paint mixed for my FB ute,(Banff Blue) the best, unfaded sample we could find was the glovebox lid under the hinge. They eyematched to this tiny sample then as an experiment also mixed some paint from the original acrylic code, which they had. We could not tell the difference! And they don't charge any extra for this service. Cheers, Fraze
anotherfbnewbie

Errol62 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:33 pm ImageImage

Steve and Jodie were very helpful but after using their spectrometer they could not identify Desert Glow and the nearest we found to Sandstone beige was Barrier Coral.

As mentioned in previous posts, i think I'm gonna have trouble as it's nitro paint which GMH originally only for six months or so.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

On the FBs, but also FX FJ FE FC.

EK van on rotisserie