Manual to Auto swap, who's done it????

Includes clutch, transmission, propeller shaft,
universal joints, differential and rear axle.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Nekro63
State: NOT ENTERED

Manual to Auto swap, who's done it????

Post by Nekro63 »

Has anyone here swapped a manual tranny to an auto?? Car in question is an EK ute, and I'm wondering how much was involved? cost? problems etc?? Any info would be great, thanks guys!

Luke
Devilrod
State: VIC

Re: Manual to Auto swap, who's done it????

Post by Devilrod »

Nekro63 wrote:Has anyone here swapped a manual tranny to an auto?? Car in question is an EK ute, and I'm wondering how much was involved? cost? problems etc?? Any info would be great, thanks guys!

Luke
Hey Luke best you drop round and check out the EK! Its exactly what I'm doing. I can show you how we have dealt with it. Factory column, CRS tunnel and some mods underneath, jobs done.... If only it was that easy... :roll: :lol: :lol:

Also if you are keeping the grey talk to earlyholdenfan as he has done this swap, I'm using a red...

Brett.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
Nekro63

Post by Nekro63 »

Cool thanks for that Brett, I didnt know you were doing it, figured you would just look for an auto sedan if thats what you want!?! Anyway I might take you up on that offer in the next week or so, will let you know how we go.

Anyone else????
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

Nekro63 wrote: figured you would just look for an auto sedan if thats what you want!?!
Change of plans halfway through! Missus asked if it would be hard to make it an auto, I said if I can get a column we'll do it. Not hard at all. Did you buy that ute?????
Nekro63

Post by Nekro63 »

Haha bloody women. Good to hear its nothing too scary providing you have a column and the other bits.
Theres a few utes around, havent got one yet, its really up to my girlfriend though, Im just her bitch that does the work and asks the questions!
Nekro63

Post by Nekro63 »

One of the utes we were looking at was at a place near me that works on old holdens. Ash emailed them just for the hell of it to see about a quote on doing the swap...heres their reply!

Hi Ash,
pretty involved to convert the ute to auto. Best way would be to use a 6cyl red engine i.e. 186, & trimatic auto. To do this properly,you would need to modify trans tunnel,fit a chassis kit, upgrade braking,heater demister etc.to obtain an engineers certificate. We could handle this for you at an approx cost of $8500.00.

:shock:
mrs ratbox

Post by mrs ratbox »

it's pretty easy if you can weld got to put in bigger floor hump as mentioned, are those guys that quoted you $8500 serious ive just put a red motor and 5 speed in a sedan which was disc brake front, floor hump modification, hr rear end and had to pay someone to do the welding and all up including all parts motor and box included was $1500, don't know about yor state i'm in NSW but you don't need a chassis kit i did a ute with a 308 V8 and didn't need a chassis kit
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

Nekro63 wrote:One of the utes we were looking at was at a place near me that works on old holdens. Ash emailed them just for the hell of it to see about a quote on doing the swap...heres their reply!

Hi Ash,
pretty involved to convert the ute to auto. Best way would be to use a 6cyl red engine i.e. 186, & trimatic auto. To do this properly,you would need to modify trans tunnel,fit a chassis kit, upgrade braking,heater demister etc.to obtain an engineers certificate. We could handle this for you at an approx cost of $8500.00.

:shock:
I think I know exactly who you guys are talking about, none of the driveline is reconditioned either! Have been there before and was surpised at the price qouted :shock: considering what is used. From what I have been told by someone who recently completed a Roadworthy course to become qualified, red motor is an accepted swap! Meaning you don't need an engineers. I haven't looked into this yet though.

If you can weld or have a mate who can, you can do it at home easily.
Trev

Post by Trev »

Hey Brett if its true about the red being an acceptable swap keep me informed, might get the EK fully reged instead or SR plates.
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

You blokes are lucky over there , in W.A. to qualify for club rego the car has to be stock as a rock , radial tyres and seat belts are the only deviations allowed :(
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Miss Piggy

Post by Miss Piggy »

Just bumping this up instead of creating another topic....

What auto gearbox options are there for the grey motor. I have no problem in modifying a trans tunnel, but would just like to know what kinds of boxes people have used, and what experience they had with the various ones.

Much like DevilRod, the wife has decided she doesnt like to change gears.
Trev

Post by Trev »

The trimatic behind a grey has been done quite a few times that I know of, TAYZ is the last one I think?
He used an adaptor from Roger Hancock, from all reports it's the way to go, Trev 8) .
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/trevwood/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No3
Nekro63

Post by Nekro63 »

Just curious...why would you stay with the grey motor?? While your doing all this work, why not go up a notch to a red motor...?
Miss Piggy

Post by Miss Piggy »

If I change the motor, it will be for a late model V8 or Turbo6/4.

I like the grey anyway.

I'm not in a hurry. I have other very fast cars for losing license points.