Ol' Rusty - FB/EK Sedan

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

funkyscooter
State: NSW

Ol' Rusty - FB/EK Sedan

Post by funkyscooter »

Hi all
been lurking, reading here for a while. Finally decided to join the fun.
I have been tinkering with this resto for a couple years - well 24 if I think about it, but a good 16 of them have been with the car resting in the shed. But decided to get serious in the last two. Been taking lots of pictures as I go, mostly for my reference but will add anything of interest. Surprising how much I have enjoyed watching other people build.
What I bought is this 1960 EK Sedan. 202, triple SU's, Aussie 4 Speed, HR Disks, HR Diff with drums. 13x6 Dragways. Bought as a daily driver when I moved to Sydney in '96.
Scott
(Not so rusty) Ol' Rusty - FB/EK Sedan
funkyscooter

Re: Ol' Rusty - FB/EK Sedan

Post by funkyscooter »

CarProfile.jpeg
CarProfile.jpeg (85.41 KiB) Viewed 3292 times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Welcome scooter. More pics, we love pics.
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

That photo is from a few years ago when we dragged her out of the garage onto the street so I could install a 4 post hoist. Photo doesn't show it so well but that's 14 years of dust. Car had not moved. Literally parked it one day and never started it again. Didn't drain fluids or anything. Harsh, I know and no doubt paying for it now.
Car was on the street for a few hours when a guy popped his head in asking about the history of the car. He was a previous owner and was pretty keen on buying it as a project for him and his son. I didn't even name a price. Knew I would kick myself if I got rid of it.
Anyway its a project for me and #1 son who is into his cars.
Scott
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

Errol62 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:11 pm Welcome scooter. More pics, we love pics.
Hey Clay, your build is the main reason I have finally pulled the finger out! Was hunting around for some picks on rust repairs and landed on page 46 (ish) of your Ute build. Read a couple posts and had to go all the way back to the start to read it in full.

Got to say, didn't take any more on the day I had it out - not sure why. Even that pick was almost a afterthought. And I'm going to have a hunt and see if I have any old skool photos (car was parked only just after #1 son was born which is when we got a digital camera).
Scott
Harv

Post by Harv »

Welcome aboard 8)

Thank goodness you posted a photo with four doors... I saw your avatar and thought you had made a 2-door. Was waiting for the discussion about door length to start :lol: .

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
FireKraka
State: WA

Post by FireKraka »

Hi Scooter glad to see you decided to join in the fun of building old cars :roll: looking forward to seeing where you go with your sedan.
As has already been said MORE PHOTOS PLEASE :lol: :lol:
Neil
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Glad if I inspired you. Tapatalk app on mobile device is a good way to post photos as you take them. Easy, compared to PC.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
FJWALLY
State: VIC

Post by FJWALLY »

Welcome Scooter - she looks like a real 80's hoon car with that stance and the set up - look forward to seeing what you do with it
You will find me lost somewhere!
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

Harv wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:29 pm Thank goodness you posted a photo with four doors... I saw your avatar and thought you had made a 2-door. Was waiting for the discussion about door length to start :lol: .
Bit of fun in Photoshop. Chopped a bit off the front, moved the windscreen forward, removed the front doors, and shorted the tail. Its kinda cute - I imagine clowns driving it at a circus. So I guess that makes me the clown :wink:
FJWALLY wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:45 pm Welcome Scooter - she looks like a real 80's hoon car with that stance and the set up - look forward to seeing what you do with it
Funny that - the more I look, the more I like the look. Tried mucking around with bigger rims/less rubber (in Photoshop) and keep coming back to this. Rubber for 13" rims is pretty non existent from my googling, so might have to be 14's. Or 15's.
Scott
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

EDIT:_ Images are in the wrong way round... sure you can work it out

Okay first things first. Get a hoist. Was having major back issues from 25 years sitting in a chair for hours on end. No way I’d be crawling around this project

Karmann Ghia looks on. Another reason for the hoist. Too low to work on.

So Holden up on the hoist. Pulled the diff out. Then realised I needed to do the brakes on the Karmann. Back crawling on the floor.

08_blocking_progree.JPG
08_blocking_progree.JPG (598.82 KiB) Viewed 3262 times
08_blocking_progree.JPG
08_blocking_progree.JPG
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Attachments
Hoistbuild.JPG
Hoistbuild.JPG (607.16 KiB) Viewed 3262 times
Hoist_arrives.JPG
Hoist_arrives.JPG (791.42 KiB) Viewed 3262 times
Last edited by funkyscooter on Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scott
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

Thanks Tapatalk. Arse about and all. Weird that I tried to edit the post on the forum page and it has the 3 image links in the correct order. Tried to edit and swap images - no dice.
Scott
In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

Welcome Scooter,
Glad to hear this forum has inspired you to make a start on your car. Look forward to seeing some pics as you get into it.

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Welcome to the forum mate, is it an EK with FB bits or an FB with EK side strips ??? there is a reasonable range of 13" tyres available now, up to 235 which is about as wide as you can stuff under the back end without rubbing
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

Blacky wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:15 pm Welcome to the forum mate, is it an EK with FB bits or an FB with EK side strips ??? there is a reasonable range of 13" tyres available now, up to 235 which is about as wide as you can stuff under the back end without rubbing
Thanks Blacky - I'll have to have another look. Still Sitting on the same Yokahamas from '97. One tyre needed a bit of air when I moved it! And they are 235's and they do (just) rub the outer guard at the back even with the lip rolled.
Scott