Is EH sump the solution

Includes shock absorbers, springs and steering linkages.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

stucross
State: VIC

Is EH sump the solution

Post by stucross »

Hi all, just after some advice from someone who definitely knows or even better has done it please.

I’ve got EK sedan with 202 red / trimatic combo with HR disc front end that’s been lowered. The drag link is still the original tube ek one.
The issue is I have a crap turning circle as the drag link hits the sump. I’ve had suggestions to change the sump to an EH one, which I’m more than happy to do.
BUT I want to be sure of a few things first. Are all EH sumps the same between the different size motors the EH came out with? Or is there one in particular I need to find that bolts straight up to a red 202? Also if I’m changing the sump do I need to change the oil pick up to an EH one to make the sump as well? If so and question as above, are all EH sumps and therefore pickups the same?

And if someone has actually done this, does it solve the problem or at least improve things??? Thanks so much for your time, knowledge and advice as always 😁
Blacky
State: WA

Re: Is EH sump the solution

Post by Blacky »

I had an EH sump on the red in my sedan with the stock FB steering gear and had no dramas with clearance. Do you have a pic of your setup ? It could also depend on where your motor is sitting, mine was back far enough that the stock fan fits with the radiator in the stock location.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
stucross

Post by stucross »

Thanks mate. Sounds promising. I have a HT/HD radiator in the stock position and the motor won’t fit the stock fan, had to go a slim line performance aluminium fan that just slots in. Will try get a pic.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Im surprised you got the motor to fit without an EH sump. All EH sump are the same. You need the pickup. Even with the EH sump you can have issues with the drag link on I think left lock. This can be solved by adjusting engine mount heights front and rear subject to tunnel and firewall clearance.

I had same set up in EK sedan but with HR drag link.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
stucross

Post by stucross »

Thanks for the info, looks like a sump and pickup change is on the cards. Please tell me this can be done without having to take the motor out??
ardiesse
State: NSW

Post by ardiesse »

You have a choice: to hang the motor from a skyhook and drop the front suspension plus steering linkages; or take the motor out. It's probably a similar amount of work either way. If you don't mind replacing sump gaskets lying on your back and bleeding brakes, then dropping the front suspension may be easier.

Rob
ardiesse
State: NSW

Post by ardiesse »

Question out of curiosity - would an LC/J Torana sump work?

Rob
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Hmm...
Not so familiar with the little rockets but looking at this picture, could possibly work.Image

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
EK van on rotisserie
gpi

Post by gpi »

Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Thanks Patrick do that'd be a no. Main problem with clearance to the EH sump is vertical clearance to drag link.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

EK van on rotisserie
mph
State: WA

Post by mph »

Make sure the engine mounts haven't been made to low and that you already might have a EH sump on there.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

FB-Special
Big block 161 :lol:
Holley sniper EFI.
Vintage air ducted heat and cool.
Ek auto column shift.
Lj diff and reverse lights.
WA FB~EK Car Club Member.