Grey motor timing cover seal

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

State: SA

Grey motor timing cover seal

Post by 138 »

I have tried searching for info but keep getting this -"phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/s9e/text-formatter/src/Utils.php on line 76: DOMDocument::loadXML(): xmlParseEntityRef: no name in Entity, line: 41"
I don't computer very well , so I will ask here- It looks like the balancer goes on with a BFH. Besides heating up the balancer (and maybe a bit of freezer spray on the crank), any more tricks? Does the red motor puller work on these? The engine is still in the car.
ardiesse
State: NSW

Re: Grey motor timing cover seal

Post by ardiesse »

If you use a BFH to drive a harmonic balancer back on, you will damage it. The balancer, that is. If you heat the harmonic balancer, you'll risk damaging the rubbers. Freeze spray on the crankshaft snout will have no effect. A little oil in the internal bore of the balancer before installing is recommended.

There's an installing tool for the original-style harmonic balancers. It screws into the big thread at the front of the balancer and butts firmly up against the hub. If you don't have the installing tool, you can use a block of 3x2 hardwood with all the usual provisos: centre the wooden block and strike the block squarely with the hammer.

A red-motor harmonic balancer puller will only work if your balancer is one of the aftermarket types with three threaded holes for a puller.

Rare Spares sells the puller for the original style of balancer, if you need one.

Rob
In the Shed
State: SA

Re: Grey motor timing cover seal

Post by In the Shed »

Hi,
Are you wanting to reinstall an original style harmonic balancer? I have the correct tool to reinstall an original style balancer as well as the tool to align the seal / cover in the correct position before the balancer goes on. Give us a yell if I can help.

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!