Steering column splines

Includes shock absorbers, springs and steering linkages.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harv
State: NSW

Steering column splines

Post by Harv »

Thought I would post this info here, as it may be useful for others. The steering column splines (the part that the steering wheel mounts to) changes with different model Holdens. A simple way to specify them is to measure the outer diameter of the steering column splines (for example 5/8"), and count the number of splines (for example 36 splines). The splines would then be described as 5/8-36.

From the two types of column I have here:
a) FB/EK Holdens are 5/8-36
b) LH Toranas are 11/16-36

Note that sometimes two vehicles will have the same splines, but the steering wheels will not interchange because the blinker cancelling mechanisms are different. A good guide to what will interchange is the SAAS boss kit listing, attached below.

SAAS boss kit listing.pdf
(111.52 KiB) Downloaded 231 times

If you need to get splines repaired or recut, it looks like this mob can do them:
http://speedex.com.au/index.php?route=p ... y&path=138

The adaptors shown in the link above would be a nice option too (sadly for me, LH Torana columns are bigger than FB/EK steering wheels, so I cannot adapt an original wheel onto my wagon project :( ).

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Blacky
State: WA

Re: Steering column splines

Post by Blacky »

The collapsible column I built for the rattler uses a VN steering shaft which is the same spline as FB/donor car 😎
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Interesting... from SAAS's table, that would mean that VN-VS all have the same 5/8-36 splines as FB-EK.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

I guess so - perhaps it’s 16mm -36 ??? Don’t know if they even make metric splines but it might be the story ??
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Could be metric. According to Google, the &*#@ Laser splines at the rack end of the column are 15.75mm. Wonder if they are metric, or 5/8" (15.875"). According to the post, it took a lot of force to get the imperial 5/8-36 connections to fit.

Cheers,
Harv